Stiff door handle!

Anyone got any suggestions as to the best way to go about lubricating a stiff door handle on a 2002 model UK Focus? Namely what's the best stuff to
use and do I have to take it apart, etc? WD40 springs to mind, but I faintly recall reading somewhere that this may not be a good idea. It's just the handle mechanism by the way, not the lock. Stiff from under use most likely.
Gary.
Gary McClean wrote:

If it isn't stiff with the door open, put a dab of lithium grease in the centre of the 'U' that make up the door jam striker latch. Open and close the door a few times. Done.
Gary McClean wrote:

A word from the US, may not be applicable.
Just got my 2001 Focus SE Wagon (US-made, Wayne, Michigan) back from the shop. They took it over to the Ford dealer. It was there for a different problem, but my rear door handle were stiff. While it was there, they replaced the rear door locks on my car under some Ford recall or extended warranty program.
I have the same problem with my 2003. It's not the lock mechanism by the handle linkage that is stiff.

faintly
likely.