Stuttering when cold

Hi and Help! I have a 2002 1.6 petrol zetec. About 3 weeks ago it started hesitating and stuttering when cold and under load, often when coming out at junctions and roundabouts. It usually happens at low(ish) speeds but doesn't seem too bad when setting off from stationary. It feels like a fuel problem but I haven't a clue about cars. It's passed the diagnostics test (twice!) but idles OK anyway, so that's no surprise. I don't know if it's a coincidence but it started 2 days after filling up at Sainsburys. Would dodgy petrol cause this problem or would it occur at all temperatures? Could it be the fuel pump? I appreciate anyone's help!

Reply to
amanda.oram

How many miles has it done, and what is its service history?

In the absence of this information I would suggest initially replacing plugs and HT leads.

Only use genuine Ford, and gap the plugs to 1mm.

It could be fuel related (fuel filter not replaced at correct interval, pump failing perhaps), but it depends somewhat on it's history.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's done 30000 miles and is serviced yearly at the Ford dealership (50000 mile service 3 weeks ago if that makes any sense). It's never been the most powerful of cars - a slight flat spot when setting off and hesitation at fast lane speeds, but this is the first real problem I've had in 3 years. The mechanic drove it but came to the conclusion that it had slight clutch judder! Given that it is worse when cold (which I told them) it probably behaved itself when they drove it.

As a last resort I'm going to book it into the other nearby Ford garage and get them to collect it so they can experience it at its worst. Is it a good idea to tell them what I (you) think it might be.

Thanks

Reply to
amanda.oram

If you do, the chances are they will change the plugs and leads in any case. These cost around 70UKP, so I would let them decide!

Do you have the service receipts so you can check what was replaced last time? The plugs certainly should be done at every third service. (The bigger one).

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It turned out to be the coil - now runs like a dream. So much for clutch judder!

Thanks for your help!

Amanda

Reply to
amanda.oram