Suggestions for disability modifications?

x-no-archive: yes

Hi everyone --

New Focus owner here ...

I bought a Focus because of two positive experiences using it as a rental car, so the only problem I've run into thus far was one I anticipated.

I am short-statured, and I use pedal extensions to drive. So you can see what I'm talking about, visit

(I use the 3-5 inchextension, near the bottom of the page.) The gas pedal extension does not fit well on the Focus's tapered gas pedal, and slides off regularly. I can fix this by placing the extension fairly high on the pedal, but it's not very comfortable.

I have it jerryrigged slightly with a couple of blocks of wood attached to the pedal with heavy-duty double-sided tape, to give the extension a flat surface to clamp onto. It seems to be holding ok, but it's not my idea of a permanent solution. I've spoken with someone who does disability modifications professionally, and his only suggestion involved cutting up the pedal. I don't want to do this. Perhaps someone here has some ideas?

Thanks -- John

Reply to
John Dybala

Race and rally cars use flat alloy plates on the pedals for better control (they bolt through two holes drilled in the face of the pedal). Would using a set of these give you a flat surface you could then fit your pedal extensions to?

-- Neil McDonald, Glenkinchie, Scotland (a Focus owner since last Friday!).

Reply to
Neil McDonald

John

In the UK most drivers who require adaptations are supported and supplied through their dealer network, via a scheme called Motability

Ford run their own extension of this
and an email to their help line ( snipped-for-privacy@fordmagic.co.uk ) may provide some information which could help.

David

Reply to