Suggestions for disability modifications?

x-no-archive: yes
Hi everyone --
New Focus owner here ...
I bought a Focus because of two positive experiences using it as a rental car, so the only problem I've run into thus far was one I anticipated.
I am short-statured, and I use pedal extensions to drive. So you can see what I'm talking about, visit http://www.short-stature.com/gasandbrpeex.html . (I use the 3-5 inch extension, near the bottom of the page.)
The gas pedal extension does not fit well on the Focus's tapered gas pedal, and slides off regularly. I can fix this by placing the extension fairly high on the pedal, but it's not very comfortable.
I have it jerryrigged slightly with a couple of blocks of wood attached to the pedal with heavy-duty double-sided tape, to give the extension a flat surface to clamp onto. It seems to be holding ok, but it's not my idea of a permanent solution. I've spoken with someone who does disability modifications professionally, and his only suggestion involved cutting up the pedal. I don't want to do this. Perhaps someone here has some ideas?
Thanks -- John
--

You have more than two choices on November 2nd!
Badnarik/Campagna 2004:

pedal,
Race and rally cars use flat alloy plates on the pedals for better control (they bolt through two holes drilled in the face of the pedal). Would using a set of these give you a flat surface you could then fit your pedal extensions to? -- Neil McDonald, Glenkinchie, Scotland (a Focus owner since last Friday!).
John
In the UK most drivers who require adaptations are supported and supplied through their dealer network, via a scheme called Motability (www.motoability.co.uk). Ford run their own extension of this (www.fordmagic.co.uk) and an email to their help line ( snipped-for-privacy@fordmagic.co.uk ) may provide some information which could help.
David