Suspension noise

Hi,
I have a 1999 Focus with an annoying knocking noise coming from the front suspension when I'm driving on a bumpy surface. I'm sure that this is something to do with the anti-roll bar but not sure what. I've just had the
car serviced at an AA autocentre but they couldn't find any problems. The car seems to steer fine with no noticable play in the steering.
I'm sure this has been asked before, but can anyone tell me what is causing the noise?
Thanks, Ian

Its the anti-roll bar link rods (also known as tie rods). The original design ones wear fairly quickly giving the low speed knocking you describe. Replacement part is a better design and costs about 35. Its a fairly easy DIY job too.
--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website
The sway bar links have had at least two redesigns and are not beefier looking now. My '01 ZX3 had this low speed noise over bumps that went away in warm weather and then got bad all the time...I could even hear it at higher speeds and the car felt like an old clunker. I banged around alot underneath with a rubber hammer but never felt the looseness. I brought it in to the dealer before warranty and they replaced the links with updated ones and also the front struts. I never found out if the struts were causing the noise too but all is fine almost a year later. I felt it might have been the strut bearings at the top. 3 recalls aside, this has been my only problem with the car in 40K miles.
Gary

I beg to differ. The replacement link I fitted was a high quality alloy casting of Japanese manufacture. The original one was a cheap steel pressing. It doesn't matter how "beefy" they look. The wear takes place in the ball ends through ingress of dirt and moisture and the new ones are better sealed.
--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website