TDCi 54 plate starting problems

Hi all-have done about 40k in this car and have no real problems- however for some reason the car will start and then shake violently or just simply will not start-then I leave it for a few seconds and it
starts?? Is this a serious problem waiting to occur? It never happens when starting from cold so am unsure. Thanks alot.

Pretty common this. Software remap.The problem is caused by a slow buildup of pump pressure and the ECU instructing the engine to fire slightly too early before fuel pressure is high enough. The remap basically allows 3 more revolutions before the injectors fire.
If this does not cure it, have the dealer check the rail pressure sensor, and the pump pressure.
Tim..

Thanks alot for that-have you a rough idea how much it will cost?
Paul Johnson wrote:

It's still under warranty, surely?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

I have a problem in so much as I got my servicing done from a local garage=who i thought used Ford parts-they are arguing with the Dealership saying they did and vice versa-so I dont know where I stand- the problem was I had taken it in several times for the same problem- then on maybe the fourth occasion I was told it was my clutch-so I paid Ford for a new clutch but the problem was still there-is it worth just getting rid? I am looking at a Kia Rio or similar-any one know anything abot them? Thanks

Oh.My.God.
Tim. .
Paul Johnson wrote:
[...]

Yes. A three-year old Focus with some running difficulties is about a million times better than a new Rio.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Lol-thanks chaps,I will defo look at a new Focus now.

Seriously a Kia Rio is about as low as one can go on the car ladder by several orders of magnitude!!!!! Kia make / have made some reasonable budget motors, (and a very desirable 4x4) but the Rio is a total abortion.
Tim.

what do you think of the Ceed? I couldnt get the Focus to start this morning for about 3 or 4 minutes-started then died-once i got it going it was fine-starting up maybe 40 times throughout the day-do you think it is just the change in the weather(fingrs crossed) or something worse? cheers

Get it over to your local Dealer (if he is anygood-might be a problem there!) tell them to run a diagnositic check, upload the latest ECU calibration, check the EGR valve is the latest version / not stuck, and keep it over night and see if it starts the next morning from cold.
Tim..

NIce one for that will do-any idea of the price they should charge for it? I am thinking of ringing the RAC who I have cover with and getting them to come out and check it-do they carry a computer to carry out this check? Today it has been fine -started first time this morning -I filled up with Bio diesel last week though-but I try and alternate.
Paul Johnson wrote:
[...]

Unless the vehicle fails to start at all, I doubt that any breakdown service will be obliged to help you.
There are there for when your car has broken down, meaning it is not possible for you to drive it to a garage.
If you do catch one on a good day, all he would be able to do is read the fault codes for you. Both AA and RAC carry laptops able to do this.
Without wishing to add to your grief, perhaps this is a lesson learnt about proper, manufacturer approved servicing?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Very true-penny wise -pound foolish.

Ford claim that use of any more than 5% biodiesel will void the warranty on this engine. I know you are not (currently) raising this as a warranty issue but I assume they don't favour bio D??
Bob