TDCi Available in the US?

Anyone know if it's possible to get a TDCi engine in the US? And if so, roughly how much?

Reply to
matthew russell

Not currently, there are rumors about Ford bringing it to the states in a few years though.

Mojo

Reply to
Mojo JoJo

Most of the first tier suppliers are starting to invest heavily in Diesel technology in the States. It seems that the rising cost of gas is finally making US customers look at alternatives. I recently had a conversation with a colleague from Dearborn whilst travelling in my TDCi he expressed surprise at the refinement and performance of the car and was totally shocked when I told him the sort of returns we routinely get. In his words "We consider anything over 20mpg to be economical nearly 50mpg is miraculous"

Reply to
Andy Lee

There is no diesel engine to buy in US...? In Europe diesel engines in new cars are over 60% of total sale.

Reply to
BRibic

Not in a Focus, no. We get the VW TDi, Benz E320 CDI, and you can get full sized pickup trucks with a diesel engine.

That's because fuel is heavily taxed in Europe. It's quite cheap here in the USA. For example, regular unleaded gasoline is approximately

0.32 Euro/liter ($1.599/US gallon) at my local filling station, diesel is slightly higher.
Reply to
Mark Olson

Diesel is slightly higher ???...in Europe is totaly opposite. Regular unleaded gasoline is about 1 Euro and diesel is about 0,85Euro per liter.

Well, I could realy save some money on gas in US with that prices, no wonder you occupied Iraq....:-).

Reply to
BRibic

For real information (not Usenet bullshit) about US fuel prices, go to . The United States isn't exactly *making* money from the occupation of Iraq. Of course, you knew that.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Yup. Believe it or not. What a hoot!

GOD, hope word doesn't get 'round. You'll keep it to yourself, won't you?

Reply to
FanJet

On the assumption that the UK is part of Europe, diesel is not cheaper than gasoline everywhere!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Switzerland is the same. On the other hand, insurance and road taxes for diesels are higher in Germany than for petrol cars, so the lower fuel costs just offset this. I think the only real winners are Spain and France.

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your customers drift off to free webmail services install your own web gateway!

-- See

----

Reply to
Stephen F.

Nope, they are were concerne about people in Iraq..:-). Thanks for link.

Reply to
BRibic

Good one.......

Reply to
BRibic

Uk is Europe, even you still have pound instead of euro....:-). In my region, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, Austria, Germany diesel is cheaper than gasoline, thats the one of the reasons people buy diesel cars.

Reply to
BRibic

Pollution with diesel engines is much bigger than gasoline, and thats why,not only road taxes, but inssurance also is higher for diesel engines.

Reply to
BRibic

Road taxes yes, insurance no. Insurance premiums are probably higher because the residual value of diesel cars is higher than the equivalent petrol. Insurance costs are only based on an aggregate cost per claim and the chance of a claim. That's why sports cars are expensive (high chance of claim) and also some really boring cars can be expensive if they have something which is a pain in the ass to repair (like expensive front lights which drive up the cost of a relatively minor accident) or if the cost to write off the car is high (residual value).

S.

Reply to
Stephen F.