TDCi Bad Cold Start

Hi All

I have a 2005 Focus TDCi 115 Zetec Climate that I have owned from new. It now has 17K on the clock.

I have noticed recently in this cold snap it does not start instantly, even if the heater is used - this being from stone cold. It will fire on the first turn over then stop and then start on the second turn over of the engine if the key is not released. Sometimes you think it has started instantly and release the key only to find it has not started. On the second attempt however it starts instantly. In all other aspects it is perfect.

Do other owners experience this or is there a problem, as other Turbo Diesels I have driven seem to start instantly with no heater usage whatever the weather.

Please reply to the group - Thanks - Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike wrote: || Hi All || || I have a 2005 Focus TDCi 115 Zetec Climate that I have owned from || new. It now has 17K on the clock. || || I have noticed recently in this cold snap it does not start || instantly, even if the heater is used - this being from stone cold. || It will fire on the first turn over then stop and then start on the || second turn over of the engine if the key is not released. Sometimes || you think it has started instantly and release the key only to find || it has not started. On the second attempt however it starts || instantly. In all other aspects it is perfect. || || Do other owners experience this or is there a problem, as other Turbo || Diesels I have driven seem to start instantly with no heater usage || whatever the weather. ||

I've got a 51 plate TDCI which exhibits similar symptoms, even in quite cold weather it fires into life instantly on turning the key.

However when the temperature reaches below freezing I find that it fires ok but will not continue to run and it can take up to four turns on the key before it eventually does so.

No big deal I agree, but when one is so used to the engine bursting into life at a touch, it can be a tad disconcerting when it doesn't start first time.

|| Please reply to the group - Thanks - Mike

Reply to
Ivan

In both cases a replacement FPS and firmware upgrade will solve your problem. Basically the ECU is starting injection before the High Pressure pump has had chance to build enough pressure in the common rail, so it starts, then stops.

This is a very well known issue.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply and others.

Could I ask you what a FPS is ?

Thanks - Mike

Reply to
Mike

Fuel Pressure Sensor. (screwed into the circular rail in the case of the Focus)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hi All

I have (or sounds like I have) exactly the same problem with my 53 plate 115 PS Focus TDCi. Occasionally fails to start first time of asking when the weather is cold but starts second time no problem at all. Roughly how much does it cost to have a dealer replace the FPS - are they expensive to buy?

As a slight aside could this also be the cause of a very slight 'lag' in acceleration sometimes? It's not there all the time but occasionally when you want that boost at high speed it feels like a slight misfire or the engine holding back momentarily. It's driving me insane as the Ford dealers have just done a diagnostic check and couldn't find anything wrong.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Probably either Software issue or EGR valve sticking, both of which are very common on the TDCI.

Having said that though, the TDCi is renown for hesisation when asking for power after running at a very light throttle for a time.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hi All

Tim

Thanks for that. I have just had the software updated on my Focus but no luck at all with either the cold start or power problem. I previously owned an 03 plate Focus, same model and gad no problems at all.

What's an EGR valve and is it a big/costly job to have this replaced and also the FPS?

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Paul