TDCi Easy to Stall

I have just replaced my 1999 Focus 1.8 LX with a new Focus TDCI 115 (last of old model). Initially I found it very easy to stall when setting off from
stationary and have not stalled it in the last week or two. However today I was turning right into a very busy road with not many gaps and I managed to stall it. This left me a foot into the main road and the car behind nearly shunting me as he I guess was going to follow me out.
I had the air con on and the car has now done 1450miles. Does any one else have this problem or would like to comment. It could just be a "different" driving experience but I drove a Golf TDi for around a week and had no problems.
Please reply to the group - Location North East UK.
Thanks - Mike

Even two years into ownership I have to admit I occasionally stall it. I had the engine management program updated, which helped, but it still catches me out from time to time. Oddly, once you have it rolling in first gear, it has quite a good "anti-stall" program, allowing it to chug along at 800rpm or so. Part of the problem is that Ford used a dual weight flywheel which has a bad unbalance at very low revs, so the computer is programmed to kill the engine if it looks like the revs are going to dip really low.
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 08:01:21 +0200, "Stephen F."

I frequently stall mine (TDCi 100) but I'm used to petrol engines - I also stalled a Golf TDI which I hired a little while ago.
Can you tell us more about the engine management program update please?
--
All the best
David Millen

Next time you're in for service just ask if the engine management has the latest program version. It's a flashable ROM in the ECU. The service tech just plugs in the diagnostic computer and uploads the new software.
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:10:49 +0200, "Stephen F."

Thanks, Stephen.
--
All the best
David Millen

I've had mine for 2 years now.
It can catch you out, particularly when not warmed up - especially if the aircon is on also.
I found the "surge" effect after you change up quite pronounced at first, however I dont notice it all all now.
I have found the feel of the engine can change markedly after a service too.

Thanks for all the replies and info.
Mike

When i picked mine up i stalled it 3 times before even making it out of the dealership!!!! Im a mechanic and are used to jumping in and out of different cars all day but this really cought me out!
MC.
www.ffoc.co.uk aka FocusGhia2L
--

"Mike" < snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com> wrote in message