tdci - overtaking is scary ?

I'm having trouble getting overtaking traffic safely in my new ( to me ) Tdci Focus..
Yesterday I left it in 4th gear at 35 MPH and it was a struggle to get
passed the car in front, so today I dropped it from 5th to 3rd at about 45 MPH which was even worse..
There is such little power above 3K RPM in 3rd ( or any gear ) that I just barely got past the car after having to change to 4th.
The power output V RPM curve is certainly taking some getting used to.. From 2-3K RPM it goes like a rocket and I think I#m driving a fast car, however you have to remember it just stops at 3K ! It's nice while it lasts and nippy around town but scares the life out of me when overtaking !
Si
On 6 Sep 2006 06:07:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk wrote:

This mirrors my experience when I first got my TDCi, being used to petrol engined cars. I've now more or less got the hang of it, but it's back to petrol for me next time, without a doubt. I'd rather have (slightly) higher fuel bills and no medical bills.
--
All the best
David Millen
David Millen wrote:

Which particular engine have you got? My 1750 100hp unit revs to the red line without hesitation or loosing any grunt!
Gotta love those Italian tune-ups!
--
Chris Game

"You must be an intellectual. No normal person would say a
Chris Game wrote:

I'll take that as a suggestion.. :)
I've done some serious speed in 5th gear, but it does not seem to get the revs into 'italian tune up' teritory.. 70MPH= 2000rpm !!
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk wrote:

'tune up' complete... I really think she seems a little less reluctant above 3000rpm now. My old Pugeot D gets thrashed all the time I use it so never has this problem cheers for suggestion.
In alt.autos.ford.focus snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk:

Seems you have to possibilities:
a) Get used to driving a turbo diesel engine
b) Sell it and get a car with fuel engine
Good luck
BTW Yep, I had both and no problems, though I prefer a petrol because engines just run more smooth.

You have a serious problem.
You dont say which engine you have, but if its the 1.6 (90), 1.6 (110), 1.8 (100), 1.8 (115) or 2.0 (136) then they should all come on boost at around 1700-1900rpm and pull vigourously until at least 3600rpm, and then with slightly less enthusiasm to the red line.
Get back to your dealer, you car is ill.
Tim..
Tim.. wrote:

it's the 1.8 (115) Tdci, i'll have a closer look at the Rev. counter on the way home tonight.. maybe it does pull a bit higher than 3000rpm but the power drops off quite quickly.
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk wrote:

Same as mine then. Max power's (115ps) supposed to be at 3800rpm, so if yours is dying before then it could be a problem. I had major issues with mine a couple of months ago, which turned out to be a tiny kink in a tube somewhere, which was doing funny things to the pressure of the gas in the tube, and hence funny things to the turbo. Like, it wasn't working at all.
Mine's now absolutely fine for overtaking - way better than petrol, just a pain in the butt for driving well on windy roads - I drove from Macclesfield to Buxton and back the other day (over the Pennines, Cat and Fiddle pass, UK), and it was really tedious - I shouldn't have to shift into 2nd gear on an open road!?! It just takes forever to get from 1200rpm to 1800rpm in anything other than 1st gear! Also really annoying that in 5th gear, at 60 or even 70mph, the turbo doesn't really kick in - have to wait til 75-80...
yank that TD out, and slap in a single turboed 2JZ-GTE :-D. with anough mods you can hit more than 1000HP Stu wrote:

Pop-N-Fresh wrote:

Yeah but then my weekly fuel bill would be way higher than 25 for 300 miles :-D
Of course, if I was in the US where "gas" is cheaper than bottled water, I'd have had the 2 litre petrol any day :-P
You lot moan about "gas" prices, you don't know you're born, hehehe! Currently ~$6.83/gallon for diesel here, $6.63 for unleaded (95 octane's the cheapest you can get here). 50mpg diesel vs 30mpg petrol over 15000 miles saves me $1,266 a year...
i have a 3sgte turbo 2.0l 4 cylinder in my yota, and a 2.0l N/A zetec in my focus... the celica is faster and has better gas mileage. 25mpg focus. 35 celica.
Stu wrote:

LOL...Full ack! I have a 2l petrol.

Those are UK gallons?
1 gallon (US) == 3.785 l 1 gallon (UK) == 4.546 l
We had been already up to 1.40 Euro/l (super - needed for 2l petrol engine) recently, though it is now about 1.25 Euro/l.
    1.40 Euro/l     6.8 US $ per gallon (US)     8.2 US $ per gallon (UK)
Get around 8.5l/100km without A/C and a little care. 33 mpg (imperial) 28 mpg (US)
Michael Heiming wrote:

No, I did the US conversion :-) Prices based on 0.96/litre for Diesel, and 0.93/litre for Petrol. We've been over 1/litre for Diesel, and on 0.99/litre for Petrol a couple of times in the past 12 months (and boy did people get unhappy)
That said, I did my MPG conversion in imperial... which actually means my 1.8 (115) TDCi saves me more like $1520 a year over my old car (2 litre petrol Laguna, also 115bhp)
you want to talk about bad gas mileage. try a 2000 F250 4x4 with 44inch tires with a 7.3l diesel pushing 600hp and 1100ftlbs. thats my work truck. i get 5mpg although i can truly go anywhere. i used to get 20mpg lol. but that was before a few grand spent at the bully dog shop. :-D Stu wrote: