TDCI zetec or sport?

I'm considering buying a TDCI 115 3dr focus in the UK. However, I'm not sure whether the sport version is worth the extra money in comparison to the zetec. Doe anyone have any comments on this?

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
dC

Good question. I agonised over exactly the same myself:

IMHO, get the Zetec, but make sure it's the 115 bhp with the comfort pack (aircon/heated screen). Several k cheaper, you will be able to negotiate a better discount, and it's same spec without the plastic bits for which there is a growing post-sales market. Also much lower insurance once QuoteMe**** catches up. Plus, at least as standard, you can park it anywhere without someone putting a key down the side or trying to nick it, as ... it's a great qcar ...

Get the non-descript silver one (which is also good to resell) and have fun dropping all those Audi/BMW reps who think it's a 1600. Pull out to overtake that HGV on a slope, make sure you are doing ~50 with a queue behind, don't chase the revs and leave them wondering what the f**k you are driving. Hey, it breaks up the M-way monotony.

Do the same in a TDCi Sport and they will assume it's a ST. But if that is what you want... ?

Perhaps it's just me, but I'd rather have something understated. And didn't want the ST as it's not good enough when not on the track. Again, IMHO.

Reply to
Monkeys

Thanks for your comments.

I'm not sure I want a non-descript understated one, just something that looks relatively good, but not over the top. As you say, I don't want people nicking it. I suppose the 3dr zetec will do the job and will cost less than the sport version.

But what do you mean 'and it's same spec without the plastic bits'? Are you happy with your TDCI, any grumbles?

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
dC

My new TDCi estate is the equivalent of your UK Zetec here in Switzerland, but is called the "Sport" here (just to make corporate branding confusing). As the other poster said, the heated windscreen and climate control are very useful now that it is cold and damp. I ordered my car with 16" alloys and a sport suspension, and it sticks like glue, so I can't really imagine what you would gain with the UK Sport and its 17" alloys, apart from better (?) aesthetics, marginally better grip and a harsher ride with more damage-prone wheels which cost a lot to replace and are heavier. "Grassroots Motorsports", an American magazine, recently did a comparison of a typical FWD car with four different wheel and tire combinations. There were only marginal (almost not detectable) differences in handling between a 50-series

16" combo and a 45-series 17" combo.

The only thing which I would find useful in the UK Sport would be the seats which come from the ST. The Zetec seats are comfortable, but really could use a little more side bolstering (I come from a long line of Recaro-equipped cars). However, I'm no fan of even partial-leather, so it would be a 50-50 choice for me.

I think on the balance the Zetec with appropriate extras and some serious price haggling would be the better car.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

Hi Dave,

Perhaps my general comment of 'plastic bits' is perhaps a bit unfair. AFAIK, the TDCi Sport is the same as the TDCi Zetec (115 bhp) but with some of the ST equipment: i.e. wheels, sporty bumpers, leather bits on seats, maybe flared wheel arches, different dials, spolier?, erm fancy gear knob? I think the wheels on the Zetec look pretty good anyway though, as does the car generally. If the Focus sold 10% of what it does then the Zetec would be considered quite sporty rather than commonplace. Victim of it's own sucess I guess. Mind you, can you tell the difference between a Zetec and ST170 coming the other way down an A-road?

Anyway, important oily bits, such as the engine, gearbox and suspension are exactly the same. I'm happy to be corrected on this, but that is my understanding. Whatever, the handling on the Zetec is just about perfect. I don't yet know where the limit of traction is, and I'm not sure I want to find out. If the Sport is better, without being overly harsh, well that's just super and I hope The Stig enjoys it.

If you want more info go to

They have great forums, including one dedicated to diesel. You will also find information on chipping your TDCi to improve BHP and torque (yikes).

=====

To your other question, my TDCi is the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a few. It is just superb. The way it pulls at low revs is amazing. If, God forbid, it disappeared tomorrow, I'd be straight on the phone to Ford to order another as soon as my insurance allowed - and perhaps that's the acid test.

Also, even when giving it a good kicking, I'm gettting MPG in the mid-50's. And it's cheap insurance.

My 'worst' and only grumble in 3 months / 3k of ownership was that the glow plug light flashed one morning (see post in same NG) and it wouldn't start until I'd taken out and reinserted the key.

Cheers

Reply to
Monkeys

Thanks for your feedback. I am currently wading my way through the forums on

very useful stuff!

I think I have settled on a 3dr zetec with climate pack. I would like to get a latter one, as they have break discs all-round. Just a matter of getting a decent price now. The new version to replace the focus will be out next year, so should be some pretty good deals around.

Dave

Reply to
dC

Dave

I haven't driven the Sport but I've had a Zetec TDCi for about 2 months now and I love it. The turbo really pulls nicely from low revs. I had a 2.0i Zetec petrol for 3 years before that and it was an excellent car as well but I'd probably just put the TDCi in front because you don't have to thrash it as much to get good acceleration.

I like the look of the Sport but I'm not sure it's worth the extra dosh just for those looks. My Zetec is Magnum grey, not many of them around so it tends to stand out a little bit from the other Zetecs.

I'm only getting 42mpg from mine however, maybe the right foot is still a bit heavy.

Phil

Reply to
Philbert