Temp Gauge Keeps Rising and Falling

Hi, wonder if anyone can help.
I have a 2000 Ford Focus, LX 1.6. Recently i've noticed the temp guage no longer sits in the middle where it used to sit if i go 60 mph or
above. If i go on the motorway, or go 60mph and above the temp guage starts to rise, and eventually ends up in the red. It stays there for a while, and then drops again, but rises again within a minute. If i stay below 60 the car drives like a dream. The water and anti freze coolant is fine. The car isn't overheating in terms of there's no smoke or steam rising from the bonnet. I've taken it to half a dozen garages all telling me something different.
They say the radiator is blocked, the guage is faulty, temp sensor is faulty, and the main ford dealer wanted 96 just to look at it, before they even tell me whats wrong with it.
I'm at my witts end now, has anyone had this before, or any indications of whats up. The car has done 130'000 miles.
Cheers
i guess all main dealers works the same way as us. we ask you for 1hrs dianogiss at the end of the hour you get the correct result rather than just guessing components like those items listed above.
in that hour i would expect roadtesting, getting fault codes, testing gauges and sensors then at the end we would say your car needs ### would you like us to do it?
anyway, back to your problem and im guessing at 130k miles your radiator cooling fins are covered by flys etc jet wash your radiator fins roadtest and reassess

At 130,000 miles it could have lots of things wrong. The 96 quid is a good investment. That way you can make an informed decision. Otherwise you could spend hundreds replacing or repairing the wrong thing and/or risk serious engine damage costing even more.
Re Temp Gauge Keeps Rising and Falling:

I would guess the radiator, but that is just a guess. It could be any of the above. I had similar symptoms with another car (not the Focus) and radiator blockage was the problem.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

I'd go with a rad first.
Put the dash display in digital mode and u will see the actual engine temp in there and can monitor it for yourself.
MC.
[...]
Radiator