Theft protection code on US factory stereo's?

Is there such a thing as a protection code on the OEM stereos in North America? Where if you install the stereo in a different car, you need to get it activiated at the dealer again?
Someone is asking me, and I've never heard of such a thing.
GM products have a system where the car owner can set a 3 digit anti theft code. European and high end Japanese product have a factory security code , that requires a trip to the dealer and proof of ownership, if you do not know or loose the factory code. Any how, who would want to steal a OEM stereo from a North American car, they are basically low end.