THERMOSTAT HOUSING GASKET LEAKING

Has anyone changed the gasket on the thermostat housing were it attaches to the engine. It's a U.S. made z-tec engine? Can an amateur do it?

Yes , not too bad to do. happens alot on the 1.4 and 1.6 engines.
MC

Im having a similar issue!
However, I already replaced my Thermostat because it was stuck in the closed position. (diagnosed by pepboys). I noticed when I took off the housing that there was no gasket there presently.
I then put on the new thermostat and gasket without a hitch. There was a small leak but I was able to tighten it up.
Now a few days later I noticed it was leaking again but this time really bad there at the housing! I tried to tighten it up again but its as tight as I could possibly go.
Three questions now:
1) what does the gasket really do? it looks like its just a shield between the two metal parts. Is this to keep them from merging together/melting?
2) Can I just take off the gasket? (like it was how i found it)
3) OR, IS there a sealant type rubber thing that I should use there to keep the leak back??
Thank you~!
Lokin
"Mark C." wrote: > Yes , not too bad to do. happens alot on the 1.4 and 1.6 > engines. > > MC > >
> > > Has anyone changed the gasket on the thermostat housing were > it attaches > > to the engine. It's a U.S. made z-tec engine? Can an > amateur do it? > >
The thermostat is wrapped in a gasket. When you open up the housing to see the thermostat there is not gasket for the housing itself. The gasket on the thermostat provides the seal.
There is another gasket where the housing meets the engine. That is a common problem for leaking.
Check out this site someone set me; http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modidY
it will answer a lot of your questions.