Thunk thunk when turning

Not sure what I got into, I don't recall any big potholes, but today just out of the blue the car started making noise when i'd turn, almost sounded like a tool rolling around up there.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

As bizarre as it sounds. I found a screw driver ratting around in the front skirt/bumper area, behind the wheel arch liner in my Focus the other day. I can only guess some mechanic in the past dropped it and couldn't be bothered to dismantle everything to get it out!

I only noticed it as the orange of the handle was visible through a small hole when I parked with a wheel turned, exposing the hole. It's probably been ratting around for a while and only just appeared near the hole. Bit of sticky take inserted through the hole and pulled it out.

And guess what - I think I no longer have an odd rattle at speed - which sounds like it came from the (empty) glove box. (If it's still there, next thing for me to do is apparently check the left (nearside in UK) wheel arch liner, as it touches the arch and can rattle at speed causing a sound which sounds as if it comes from the glove box).

David Hearn

what year car do you have? I had a 2000 ZX3 the strut spring broke when I drove it out of the dealer after an oil change, ford had extended the warranty on the spring to 100k miles, so I got it changed under warranty.

Reply to
underdog

Yep, that's what it is...

I dropped it off at a local independent shop and he and I went to take it for a ride this morning and we didn't even get out of his lot before he said "Broken spring". It's still under warranty (10 year or 150k miles) so I dropped it off at the dealer. Not sure when I'll get it back.

We have a severe pothole problem here but I don't recall hitting anything around the time it broke, but the time I broke the balljoint I didn't feel that pothole either...

I'm impressed though about the warranty (I just hope it's not going to take as long for the part to arrive as my cruise control for the truck :-( ).

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

I didn't hit a pothole, it went when I backed out from the dealer, it was ok when I went in, they had the part the next day and didn't take long to install either. So they bumped the warranty up to 150k now?

Reply to
underdog

Well, what I told them was I don't recall hitting anything, it just happened, and it happened on a smooth, recently paved street.

The independed shop i took it too knew right away what it was and they immediately knew the length of the warranty, saying they had been seeing lots of them.

The car was ready by 3pm and I had them do an oil change while it was there (I figured this way they got some $'s).

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing