Timing Belt

Hi,

I own a 2000 Focus LX (North American). It just turned 101 000 KM. Should I replace the timing belt? If so, what is an approxiate cost of it (US or CA currency)?

Thanks

Reply to
Bobby

Ford recommends to replace the belt at 100,000 miles. I did mine at 89,000 and it looked like it was about due.

I went overboard and let them replace the water pump and install a new tensioner along with the belt.

Labor was $296.00 and the belt kit w/tensioner kit was $239.00 minus a discount I have with this shop.

I think the belt alone is about $150.00.

Reply to
EOO

Replacing the water pump and tensioner at the same time is not going overboard in most cars, it is being sensible. Nothing worse than having the t-belt done then finding coolant on the road a few months later, or have the tensioner go...

That price seems a bit high (but not dramatically). I would shop around a little.

Reply to
Stephen F.

OK, so 100 000 miles is like 150 000 KM?

Thanks

Reply to
Bobby

not exactly but close.. it is 160,934.4 KMs

ahmet

turkey

Reply to
dragon

Yes it should be replaced. Not sure of the cost but I believe it to be around $55 for the belt itself excluding labor charges.

Reply to
Gary Avrett

Ford recommends that the Cam belt be changed at 200,000 Kms.

You can go longer if the engine is a Zetec as it is non interference in stock form, so if the belt breaks the engine just stops.

not exactly but close.. it is 160,934.4 KMs

ahmet

turkey

Reply to
Henri

On mine (2001 SE Wagon 2.0 Zetec built at Wayne Michigan), the interval is 120,000 miles.

I had it replaced at 100,000.

Reply to
Tony Wesley

That isn't the case with all engines. Some of them are interference designs, certainly in the UK and Europe.

Reply to
Tim