Took it past 70 today - 1st time

Well I've had it for about a week now (2000LX-15Kmi) and decided to see how it felt up past 70 mph. Nice. Speedo goes to 140 - tires go to ???? ("Integrity?", hmmm)
Felt like cruising at 70+ all day would be no problem for it.
Even though it's a small car, it has bigger car feel, but with smaller car cornering when needed. Me likes :-)
I see what people are talking about with the noise though, sort of a smooth rumble, a little lower in pitch than a shot wheel bearing noise I've heard. I hear it below 30 and above 70, but not in between. A resonance in the drivetrain no doubt.
The engine still wurrs and whines too. Only in cold weather. Gotta be either the serp. belt or a pully bearing. My teenage son and I have pinpointed it to the AC compressor area down low. Any online diagrams of the belt paths on these dars? Wondering if the tensioner/idler pully is in that area.
Anybody have any advice on these two annoyances? Still got a few months of warr. left.
John

Even in Switzerland, with its fairly heavy-handed enforcement, 140kph (85mph) is the standard cruising speed for my Focus wagon (turbodiesel) and it quite happily spends several hours at 150 - 170 on trips to Italy or Germany.

Over here, it's a rather big car! :-)
Stephen

Interestingly, in one dimension it is big even in North America. Most of the vehicles I've bought in the past 4 1/2 decades I've had to modify the seat tracks to give me enough leg room to get comfortable. That includes some much bigger than the Focus. But the first time I sat in a Focus in a showroom, pushed the seat back and grabbed the controls, I knew I was home.

Not that our law allows it but Foci in the UK are quite at home sitting at 90-100mph (95 is 4000rpm with the 1.8) with very little wind or engine noise or any other complaint. Don't ask me how I know ;)
Tim..

    I don't suppose by any change you've been driving on the M40? :)
--
Tim. /\ /\
O___O

at
noise
No, not in the last 8 months or so. Aren't there afew speed traps on the m40 now anyway??
Why, did I zoom past you??
Tim..
" Tim \(Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and lost alot of stuff

    It's the only road I drive often where the inside lane is driving at speed limit + 20%:) No speed traps that I'm aware of unless there are some right at the very top.
No objection to people zooming past unless they're Mercedes or BMWs on full beam:)
--
Tim. /\ /\
O___O

go
smaller
noise
sitting
engine
the
Had heard they were more down warwick / oxford area, but sounds like that info was wrong...
Tim..
" Tim \(Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and lost alot of stuff

[snip]
    There are a couple where the M40 merges into the M42 looking at traffic works. Driving very carefull to oxford & back from warwick I didn't see any cameras on Saturday. Though there is a motorway police center near one of the Warwick junctions.
--
Tim. /\ /\
O___O

This is at junction 14 on the leamington spa roundabout.
I take it past 70 everyday!

at
noise
I would too if there wasn't always someone in my goddamn way! Rush hour sux, always. Anyway, I finally happened upon one of those unmanned speed traps that tell you your speed as you approach. People probably though I was weird 'cause I turned around and went past it two more times. My speedo reads 1 to 2 mph higher than the thing reads out. John
Skallywag wrote

70 mph ~ 112 km/h, I'd call this creeping.
Yep, speedo stops at about 220 km/h, but the revs climb up a little bit more.;) The summer tires on my Focus are labeled with a "V", meaning they are at least good for 240 km/h, so that shouldn't be a problem. Taking into account that the speedo always shows a little bit more. If you have a GPS you can easily check this out, it shows about 5% too much on my Focus.

Depends were you are, at least the wagon isn't a really small car here.
--
Michael Heiming

My Focus speedo reads 94mph when true ground speed is 90. Not sure wot that is in percentage....?
Tim..
[..]

Assuming true ground speed as 100%:
94/0.9 104.44
4.44% difference, even more accurate then mine. Never had a Ford where the speedo was this good!
You can calculate the speed from the complete gear transmission ratio in addition. The 2.0l manual has 3.1262:
(0.06*(revs/min)*(admeasurement of tire in meter) V = ------------------------------------------------     (complete gear transmission ratio)
(0.06*5800*1.876)/3.1262 208.83 km/h (130.51 mph)
The same as GPS shows, looks like the rev meter is pretty accurate, even if we have to take into account that tire admeasurement might not be that definite just calculated from the tire size "195/60 R15V".
--
Michael Heiming

4.26% high...
90/94 = 0.95745 => 90 is 95.745% of 94 1.00 - 0.95744680851063829787234042553191 0.042553191489361702127659574468085 thus, 94 is 4.26% higher than 90
--
Raider Rick
"Just math, baby"

My speedo shows over by 4 to 5 mph according to GPS. Interestingly enough, my brothers Zetec is only about 2mph over.
My Focus TDCi allegedly cruises quite happily at 110mph in the middle of the night on a completely empty motorway with no speed cameras :-) Little wind and road noise, and a one-off event!
G.
[..]

Yep, but at which speed, without the speed it doesn't say much.

Sadly not all highway have no speed limit at all here and even on those it's often rather full and you are happy if the left lane allows about 160 Km/h (100 mph) or a little bit more. And then the Focus doesn't have any "overtaking prestige". If you know what I mean?
On the other hand fuel isn't really cheap, if it's free enough to push the Focus to its limits, you can see the fuel gauge fall.;(
--
Michael Heiming

enough,
Well we tried from 30 to 90, and both cars were consistent at all speeds. Mine, a TDCi LX was 4 to 5 over and my brothers, a 1.6 Petrol Zetec was about 2mph over.
If it makes any difference, his is a 2001 model and mine is a 2002.
Hope this helps.
G.