Tow 1175 lbs pop-up camper with a Focus?

Well, the subject says it all... ;-)
Just wanna ask you guys what u think....
Got a 2001 Focus SE wagon.... and maybe this summer i'll rent a camper... small one... like 8ft box.... says 1175 lbs.... anyone
experience it? can i get some problems with the weight of the camper??
thanks!!
Jonathan
Keep the OD off. No problem. Give yourself extra stopping distance and don't expect to go up hills at full speed.

Just wondering, since the factory recommends a max of 1000 lb, if you have an accident could you be charged or have problems with insurance?
In alt.autos.ford.focus the snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

1175 lbs == 532.9 kg
Doesn't sound that much. My registration says 620 kg (1366.86 lbs) trailer without breaks, with breaks 1200 kg (2645.54 lbs).
Depends (iirc) on the engine and alike, haven't trailered much, just motorbikes, but you didn't really mentioned the trailer at all (with breaks).
the snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

There was a thread about towing back a while ago. You can read it here:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.ford.focus/browse_frm/thread/e4b8ffea39dbcaf3/98372cf62ad7beb9
I still have no experience towing with my 2001 SE Wagon. The Olds is doing the job.
If you do, let us know. By chance, are you pulling a Palomino? By memory, that's the weight of my camper.
My problem is that i only have one car!! lol
so i'll have to ask those Ford rep what they think about that....
and for now, don't know what kind i'll be pulling.... just trying to figure out if i'm able to do it... since my wife really want to buy a pop-up.... hehe!
the_decker wrote:

Yep.
I think the Focus would be over-matched pulling the pop-up. Plus consider the luggage, your wife, etc.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. I'd like to hear some real-world trailer experience and not speculate.

As others have said, Ford recommends towing no more than 1000 lbs. (454 kg.) with a U.S. Focus. Body style, horsepower, and transmission type don't affect the recommendation. https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2002/2002_max_trailer_weig hts.pdf
-- Don