Trannys and Brakes on a Focus

Hey all,
I'm researching a problem on my wife's Focus. It's a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3, with 60,000 plus miles on it. She was driving it Friday and heard a
"grinding" that got worse while turning the wheel. Then she stopped immediately and called a tow truck (AAA...my friend). She took it to the dealer and the service dept. suggests it might be the tranny. I did a quick google search and found there might be an epidemic of tranny and brake problems on this car. Does anyone here have any info on that or links to any info? If the transmission is replaced, how much life will we get out of it before more problems crop up?
Thanks, Jim

tranny and

The brakes have disappointed some owners because of short life, but that is an industry-wide problem caused by the elimination of asbestos in brake linings and pads, not just Focus. For 2005 Ford has addressed this issue by going to a larger size. There is no particular history of transmission problems on the Focus. You may be confusing it with the Taurus/Sable, which has had a history of transmission failures in some years. Of course, your individual Focus can still have problems.