transaxle fluid change

I have a 2002 Ford Focus wagon(US model). The maintaince manual says: "At 30,000 miles change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid on all vehicles equipped with AX4S,4F50N, 4R100, 4F27E. Inspect automatic transmission fluid level on all other vehicles."

How do I determine which transaxle my Focus has?

Reply to
Peter Piper

That is interesting, we have the 4F27E auto transmission on our 2003, 1.6 Focus (UK), and there is no mention anywhere in the vehicle documentation regarding fluid changes. I've just spent 1 hour looking. It just states that the fluid level is checked during normal maintenance.

I am just about to change ours at 62,000 miles. The fluid is slightly darker than it should be.

You may have to ask a dealer which transmission you have. I suspect you may have the 4F27E too, as it is available on the 2.0 litre engine as well as the 1.6 litre.

Best regards

David

David Skelton

The transmission type is given on the metal plate attached to the driver's side B pillar (behind the front door).

If you enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) you get your maintenance schedule:

-- Don

Reply to
Don McC

Follow up!

I do have the 4F27E transaxle. Ford(USA) recommends an oil change every 30000 miles. I found two good how-to-change-the-oil articles at:

Peter Piper

Peter I tried to send you some info privately regarding the Ford instructions. But the contact info was wrong.

regards

David

David Skelton