transmission problem?

Hello,
I have a '01 Focus Wagon 1.6 liter automatic transmission (4 spd, Mazda developed transmission) that I bought new 5 years ago. it now has 48K Kms
and always dealer serviced. At 45K Kms transmission fluid and filter were changed. The car is driven most of the time in city therefore it rarely reaches speeds of 80 KMH or above. Last week on a highway trip I noticed that torque converter lock up did not happen which would have caused rpm to drop 200 more. Same thing happened yesterday again. It used to cruise around 2200-2300 rpms on a leveled road when going 90 KMH but instead the rpms were never below 2500.
I tapped the brakes little bit to see if the rpms would increase but nothing changed. So, I suspect that torque converter does not lock up.. Am I right on this? If I am right, is it costly to fix? I am very happy with this car and planning to keep it at least 2 more years.
Thanks in advance,
Ahmet
Turkey
a.k. wrote:

I also have a 01 1.6L Focus Auto. It has done about 100Km. The manual states that the Auto box is a sealed system, so I am surprised to hear that transmission fluid has been changed. I also hold a lot of store by the recommendations of www.honestjohn.co.uk whom I queried on this, and he suggested that the box should certainly be good for a good few Km yet - without maintenance.
Paul R (UK)

This may not help at all, but, some automatic transmissions will not lock up until the engine reaches a certain temp. If the weather has got colder you will get higher RPM when you first enter the highway.

Kms
were
noticed
rpm
up
Hmmm... I wonder if it is the case for the transmission in my car.. Yes, the temperatures are around 0C lately and the highway trip I took was a short trip...12 kms..It may not be long enough for transmission to reach certain temperature..Can anybody comment on if this might be the case? Thank you for the tip..
Ahmet