UK cambelt cost

The cambelt needs doing on my 1.8 Zetec E. A local mobile mechanic, who has been in business for more than 20 years, and has been recommended to me by two other customers, has quoted 175UKP This would be using a Gates
kit, and includes a new auxiliary drive belt.
That seems a very reasonable price to me; any comments?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

The cost of independent garage labour varies depending on region but 175 would be a good price in my area.
--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website:- www.britjet.co.uk
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:44:10 +0000, Paul Giverin wrote:

Thanks Paul. I'm going to give the guy the go-ahead.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Certainly cheaper than my 1100 when the tensioner failed !!!! Looking at my bill the cambelt and tensioner were approx 75 so I would say 175 is a good price.
--
Red Squirrel

Which brings up an important point - do be sure the tensioner is replaced at the same time, even if the part hasn't been included in the quote. Same for the water pump if it is driven from the timing belt. A friend's 1990s Escort was badly damaged when the water pump seized and destroyed the timing belt when the car was about 4 years old.
Otherwise the price from a trusted source is good. As my brother once remarked, if price were more important than quality I'd botch it myself for free.
Mike

The water pump isn't driven from the cambelt on these so it doesn't need to be changed. Also, the cambelt does not need to be removed to gain access to the water pump so there's no point in changing it for convenience sake.