UK Focus 1.6 '01, rain or water intruding into passenger footwell

Has anyone else seen this before. Since the heavy rain started a couple of weeks ago the passenger footwell is gathering a puddle of water per heavy
shower.
There is no water entering through the door or window or windscreen. the only damp path I can find away from the footwell seems to be up towards the centre console where from the footwell air vents
I has been in for a regular service recently jst prior to the bad weather
Thanks for any help
Robin Smith wrote:

All together now - Pollen filter cover!
If you Google for this you will find loads of info. Basically, at the bottom of the windscreen on the NS is a removable cover which gives access to the pollen filter. Dealers are notoriously bad at refitting this properly. You need to clean the old sealant off, then apply the proper Ford stuff. Take it back to whoever did the service and get them to sort it. If the car is very damp, ask them to dry it out, and suggest that if it still smells you might be asking them to replace the carpets.
Anyone who has been servicing the Focus for a while should be fully familiar with this.
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply

Thanks folks, it would seem the filter is the cause. Service was carried out end of January, can you indicate my why its taken so long to leak. I ask as the dealer will say it my fault due to time since service
However, they have had it back in twice to try and remedy a very noisy auxiliary drive belt, but I don think they would have tampered with the pollen filter....would they? And no after 5 attempts they still cannot fix the belt noise
Can anyone point me to a decent link pertaining to the pollen filter fix please
thanks

of
heavy
weather
bottom
familiar
Robin Smith wrote:

If you Google in the group you will find posts about the pollen filter cover dating back almost to the release of the Focus. Dealers were originally not scraping off the old sealant and renewing it. No dealer should be unaware of this by now - it's been 6 years!
WRT the noisy auxiliary belt, has the tensioner and idler been replaced? This should stop it, but if your dealer can't fit a pollen filter cover after all this time, I don't hold out much hope.
Unless you are getting this work done free under a warranty, I would look elsewhere.
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply

Robin Smith has written

Hi Robin
I have found a good US website which you might find useful
http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/cabinfilter.htm
The pollen filter is covered by the plastic mesh style panel which sits against the bottom of the windscreen. As you are in the UK the panel you are looking for is on the RHS as you are looking from the front of the car.
The panel should be sealed onto the bottom of the windscreen. On my car the sealer had come away from the windscreen allowing the water to run underneath it. I used a sealant gun to fix mine. It only cost a couple of pounds from a motor accessory store.
Eddie
Eddie, thx for this.
My panel was not sealed to the windscreen. Its only been sealed prior to the leak to the filter tray. Are you sure that I should seal it to the windscreen glass itself? It clearly was not done correctly at the last service and my carpet stinks and the filter is ruined.
I wont be going back to the dealer (Inchcape Ford UK) as they have been useless in the past, this example only reinforces their poor performance. What gets me about this is this company just announced superb annual results to the markets last week. Obviously they are saving on Operating Expenses, i.e. Customers
rgds

out
as
fix
Robin Smith wrote:

Yes, the bead of sealant should be applied to the cover where it contacts the glass. It is advisable to use the correct product for this (see my earlier post) because anything too adhesive my cause problems removing the cover in the future.

My local dealer (Inchcape Wokingham) have been reasonably good. It might help that I went to school with their Service Manager!
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply

No one seemed able to seal my windscreen properly, Ford main dealers, independent service agents or windscreen replacement companies. My fix for this problem was to fashion a cover over the pollen filter that stopped water going on to the filter but did not stop the flow of air into the filter. The plastic I used was about the thickness of a business card which could be creased downwards on each side.
Chris Whelan wrote:

oldHemel wrote:

How old is the car? A modified cover was introduced but I'm not sure when. This has only one screw to secure it instead of the original three. If your car has the older one, perhaps it might be worth replacing it the next time the filter is changed?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply

Yep, it wouldn't look good to take 5 attempts and still failing to fix a problem for a friend. Maybe you can have a word with him for me (:

performance.

Usually the Pollen/Cabin filter cover being incorrectly fitted causes this problem.

Check the bottom of the windscreen. The filter cover forms part of the windscreen seal - on the passenger side. The cabin air intake is under the cover.

This problem crops up regularly on this group. Usually the person asking the question has just spent a lot of money on a dealer service.
Change the garage that does the service as they obviously don't understand anything about routine servicing of Ford Focus cars.
--
Alan
thats just reminded me - whats the best sealant for this?
Neil wrote:

I tried to buy some at my dealers. The parts guy knew what I meant but couldn't find it on the parts computer. He popped in to the workshop and got me some, no charge.
It is a bead of sticky black sealant, about 3mm dia. It is on a brown papery backing sheet which is then rolled up. I've never seen anything in a DIY shop or anywhere that is similar, so you might have to beg some from a dealer.

ISTR that the problem is worse if you park with the NS front of the car low.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply

low.
Yep , that's the position mine leaked most in!
I would guess it is a butyl rubber sealant. A glazier should have it. /per