UK FOCUS - 1.6 Auto OR 2.0l Auto - Which is best???

Hi Folks, Am looking at changing from my 1.8 Zetec 5door 2000 V Manual Hatchback to an automatic for various reasons. I understand that the 1.6 engine is fitted with a different gearbox than the 2.0 litre. One is straight Ford I am led to believe, whereas the other is a Mazda gearbox. Does anyone have any views of which would be the best buy to replace my

1.8, I think that although the 1.6 appears to be a great engine with good balance of performance and petrol consumption, the 2.0 litre has that little extra performance and a reasonable petrol consumption. I am extremely satisfied with the performance of the 1.8 and the petrol consumption but automatic gearchange is not available with the 1.8. Althought the diesel Tdci is available with auto on the Mondeo it doesn't appear to be available at all on the Focus. Which would be the best auto gearbox and which would be the best engine>?

Thanks Justin Case

Reply to
Justin Case

I have had the 1.6 Auto for over 3 years now and am entirely happy with it. This is not for boy racers, but does everything I want of it. Like the 1.6 manual, it is highly geared, which means on steep inclines it can struggle a bit - but there is an "overdrive off" button on the selector, which will drop from 4th to 3rd which comforably handles the overgearing problem on the occasions it impacts the driveability.

I typically get 30-33MPG normal useage, and about 37-40MPG on long motorway journeys.

I understand that this is a Mazda auto box.

Hope that helps, Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

Beware the S/T/V/ early W plate 1.6 autos were very troublesome- Ford actually took them off the market for about 6 weeks whilst problems were overcoome. (thrust washers, oil seals, cooler lines, software, you name it!)

That said if it was going to blow up it would do within 10,000miles, and the retrofit parts etc are still free for current cars.

The 2litre uses a Ford box, a modded example of the A4DL used in the mondeo, which was the height of reverse-unreliability- they were guarenteed to cease functioning anytime after 60,000miles.

I have not heard of any problems with the incarnation fitted to the Focus yet though.

Personnally I would stick to the 1.6 Manual if you can- the autobox really drains the last drop of power and mpg that the 1.6 is short of in the first place.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

In message , "Tim (Remove NOSPAM." writes

The 1.6 manual is certainly not short of mpg though.

The 2.0 *is* heavy on fuel consumption with the manual box. I would imagine it is pretty awful with an auto box.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In alt.autos.ford.focus Paul Giverin suggested:

Yup, but I can imagine the 1.6/auto box with AC turned on and some load might be a pain in the ass driving. The 2.0l(manual) on the other hand is fun driving, anyone has to decide if it's worth the extra fuel consumption.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

It would be like "come on, COME ON"!!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

As I stated earlier in this series of posts - I have a 1.6 Auto (with air-con), and find the car an excellent drive - doing everything that I ask of it, I am entirely happy with the car (but again let me state - I am not a boy racer). Air-con has very little apparent affect on the performance of the car.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

Thanks very much for all the information about the auto box - looks like neither auto box would suit me and my requirements but your various inputs are very gratefully received.

Justin

Reply to
Justin Case