UK Focus 1.6: Heatd Windscreen problem

Hi,
I have a problem with the heated windscreen on my UK Focus. The drivers side works fine but the passenger side does not.
The windscreen was replaced approx 1 year ago, due to a stone chip turning
to a crack, and everything worked fine (including the heated windscreen) but just recently in the cold weather we've discovered this problem.
Speaking to the company who replaced the windscreen they have suggested that it is an electrical fault in the car as the heating worked fine when the windscreen was installed.
Can anybody suggest what could be wrong? Loose conenction? Faulty fuse? etc.
Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Cheers
TheDysk
assuming all the fuses are ok, check to see if you've got a live feed to the screen and a good earth that side, if these are ok then it looks like its the screen itself
ford_technical_ wrote:

Just in case the OP isn't aware, the engine needs to be running for the voltage to be present at the screen and the test must be completed before the supply times out.
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

TheDysk wrote:

You could try asking in: http://www.ffoc.co.uk/forum /
They seem to know lots about Focus cars.
--
http://www.needmyhelp.com

side
but
that
etc.
There are two supply cables- one each side, and one earth. It would seem that you have lost feed to one side. You *may* be able to check by removing both scuttle panel below the screen, and the trim covers inside the car but dont bet on it.
I've never had issues with Focus screen, only the previous Escort ones which were near on impossible to get at.
Tim..

Good, that sounds pretty much like the reason for his half working heated windscreen.

The only problem, the car has a pretty bad tendency to fog from the inside, as soon as it rains outside and your clothes are a little wet. Sometimes you need to turn on A/C to get the fog out, the problem with the heated windscreen is the enormous electric power it uses, the car just can't deliver while idle/stop and go.
There had been some changes from Ford during production, refitted them and it helped a little bit, but still have never ever had a car which would fog sometimes from the inside this spectacular.

turning
windscreen)
the
removing
but
which
The fogging is most likely down to :
a) dirty / blocked pollen filter. b) Wet pollen filter because the scuttle panel cover isnt sealed / fitted properly. (clear silicone on base of windscreen is essential when refitting.)
Tim..
Tim (remove obvious) wrote:

I'm sure your suggestions are helpful, but my pollen filter is always clean and dry, yet my Focus is the worst modern car I've had for steaming up.
The heating and ventilation generally are one of the few weak points of a Mk1 Focus. I wonder if the new one is any better?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Indeed, and it's pretty likely Ford wouldn't have made some changes during production and issued technical service information (TSI Nr. 24/1999) about the problem if it would just be a wrong mounted pollen filter.
Did retrofit those changes, 2 different forced ventilation and a different fan resistor. Though it does help somehow, it didn't solve the problem. Completely agree that this is one of the few weak points about the Focus and you wonder if Ford only tested the car in some desert before selling? ;-)
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:50:22 +0100, Michael Heiming
:>> Tim (remove obvious) wrote: :> :>>> The fogging is most likely down to : :>>> :>>> a) dirty / blocked pollen filter. :>>> b) Wet pollen filter because the scuttle panel cover isnt sealed / fitted :>>> properly. (clear silicone on base of windscreen is essential when :>>> refitting.) :>>> :>>> Tim.. :> :>> I'm sure your suggestions are helpful, but my pollen filter is always clean :>> and dry, yet my Focus is the worst modern car I've had for steaming up. :> :>> The heating and ventilation generally are one of the few weak points of a :>> Mk1 Focus. I wonder if the new one is any better? :> :>Indeed, and it's pretty likely Ford wouldn't have made some :>changes during production and issued technical service :>information (TSI Nr. 24/1999) about the problem if it would just :>be a wrong mounted pollen filter. :> :>Did retrofit those changes, 2 different forced ventilation and a :>different fan resistor. Though it does help somehow, it didn't :>solve the problem. Completely agree that this is one of the few :>weak points about the Focus and you wonder if Ford only tested :>the car in some desert before selling? ;-)
Hey, I resemble that remark. :-)
In fact our local SVTOA chapter is doing a tour of the Ford Proving Grounds in Yucca, Arizona this Friday.
I'm real happy with my '04 SVT Focus but it will be interesting to see some of the final certification tests being done on the '07 Cobra that day.
me/2
PS: You got the Focus over in Europe before we did in the US so it wasn't our desert they used for testing your Focus. ;-)

not strictly true a lot of European models are actually shipped to the states for Hot climate testing. Normally this is all rolled into a trip from Northern Canada down through the Rockies and into Death valley rolling all three extremes into one long test.
The other popular places for extreme testing are Finland and Spain in Europe.
Resident Engineers for our company are always swanning off on trips like this nice job if you can get it.
:> :>>me/2 :>> :>>PS: You got the Focus over in Europe before we did in the US so it :>>wasn't our desert they used for testing your Focus. ;-) :> :> :>not strictly true a lot of European models are actually shipped to the :>states for Hot climate testing. Normally this is all rolled into a :>trip from Northern Canada down through the Rockies and into Death :>valley rolling all three extremes into one long test. :> :>The other popular places for extreme testing are Finland and Spain in :>Europe. :> :>Resident Engineers for our company are always swanning off on trips :>like this nice job if you can get it.
Hmm, I hadn't realized that. I guess I should keep my eyes open Friday at the Ford Arizona Proving Grounds to see if I spot any obvious "Euro" cars that we probably will never get over here. :-)
me/2