UK Focus - Where to buy?

I've been looking for a nearly new Focus TDCi (115) Zetec Estate - not exactly strange and unusual - and have asked three local dealers to source one.

Dealer 1: Offered me a trade in of £8k on my mint late 2002 TDCi (115) low-mileage Hatch against a three-month old same spec estate on sale at

£13.5k. So my identical car, but hatch not estate, plus £5.5k for a ~10

months newer one. Note I bought my hatch from them originally.

Dealer 2: Visited the showroom, they didn't have one but would try and source one and call me. They have now advertised *exactly* the car/price I'm looking for in the local press - but never bothered to ring me back.

Dealer 3: I've been into the showroom twice and phoned twice (after they said they had one / would get it in) - they have yet to ring me back.

What amazes me is that I'm looking to spend ~£13.5k on a used car and it's appears that none of the dealers have any interest in my business.

So, I'm thinking of selling my hatch private (~£9.5k?) and buying a new estate; ideally for a similar price as above by ordering on the internet (having checked JamJar). So... any recommendations / warnings about buying direct off the net? Any sites better than JamJar?

Reply to
Monkeys

In message , Monkeys writes

TBH, TDCi estates are fairly rare which is why you are having trouble finding them.

Well the new car is a bit newer and as yo have found out, is harder to find which bumps the price up. Also the dealer is there to make money too.

Write to the salesman telling him how he has missed out on a sure sale and let him know that you will never buy from that dealership again. Then send a copy of the letter to the MD.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Being scarse is making the *used* estate £13.5k. £8k for the trade in is taking the mickey. £14.5k with a more reasonable £9k trade in would make it the same price as a new one with the current diesel deal.

Making money is one thing, making ~£3k profit on the trade in alone (the screen price on an identical hatch was £11.5k, so selling at ~£10,750) is not good. That is not justifiable, therefore I walked away.

Remember all the above is in the context of my having bought my last two cars from them, including what I'm trying to trade-in. I just don't think they are concerned about customer retention, well not mine.

Another reply mentioned that this time of year dealers take the p**s, as they have targets to hit but less sales with which to hit them.

You know, I think I will.

Reply to
Monkeys

Depends on where in the country you are. I'm in Brighton, East Sussex and have had dealings with 2 Ford dealerships.

Evans Halshaw were AWFUL - useless and you got the feeling they really didn't care if you bought a car from them or not - so we didn't!

Jermyn and Sons in Seaford however are friendly, helpful and you get the feeling the sales staff really care about you - in fact they address you by name when you arrive (assuming you've been there before!).

I think you're just unlucky and have a bunch of poor dealerships near you.

Have you considered Ford Direct??

Cheers

Alex

Reply to
Alex Harrington

OK my God! Damn that's a lot of $$$!

I've been to the UK several times, and am always amazed at the high cost of some vehicles.

I paid $25,000 CDN (with 0% 60 month financing ) for my New ZTW Wagon, loaded with every possible option. Heated seats, leather, traction control, advance trak, moonroof, etc..... $25,000 CDN =

11,500 ish UK pounds, and $17,500ish US (at the time).

We have had a lot of Americans coming North to buy cars. Once a car gets like 8000 KMS on it, they can drive it across the border, and all manufacturers, except Chrysler, will honour the warranty.

Rich

Reply to
Skallywag

I remember reading somewhere that car purchasers in the UK pay 25% more for their vehicles than their EU neighbors. I wonder if it has to do with putting the steering wheel on the right hand side, maybe they're paying extra taxes...who knows.

Mojo

Reply to
Mojo JoJo

That was the excuse used by some manufacturers but of couse that was a load of tosh considering the UK is no the only market for RH drive.

Partly to blame although the Tax burden is pretty much the same over most of Europe

The real reason is that 1, The manufacturers charge whatever they can get away with and 2, The general public were willing victims for the most part for far too many years. Once the public were aware of the facts and started to vote with their feet and the personal import market took off the Manufacturers were put in the position of responding by actually lowering UK prices to the point where personal imports were for the most part (still some specific models can generate significant savings) not cost effective.

Reply to
Andy Lee

Try

they seem to have cheap TDCI's on there last time i looked.

MC.

--------

Reply to
Mark C.