UK Ford Focus 1.8TDCI 42000mi Steering/car wobble over 50mph

Hi, My first message here! I have a Ford Focus 2002 model 1.8TDCI with

42000 miles, i have just got it found that the car/ steering starts to wobble past 50mph and does not stop all the way to 90mph(not been faster than that to test) i thought it might be the balancing but i have recently put some 17" standard TDCI sport alloys on and this only shows the problem up more. i have phoned a garage and they say it probably isnt balancing as this stops past 60-70 mph so it is more likely to be a lower suspension arm problem that apparently is common of for focuses. I havent got a great deal of money to spend on finding out what it is so i would like to find the peoblem pretty much first time. If you have any ideas or agree with the suspension arm theory please let me know.
Reply to
Jon6399

"Jon6399" wrote: > Hi, My first message on this forum! I have a Ford Focus 2002 > model 1.8TDCI with 42000 miles, i have just got it found that > the car/ steering starts to wobble past 50mph and does not > stop all the way to 90mph(not been faster than that to test) i > thought it might be the balancing but i have recently put some > 17" standard TDCI sport alloys on and this only shows the > problem up more. > i have phoned a garage and they say it probably isnt balancing > as this stops past 60-70 mph so it is more likely to be a > lower suspension arm problem that apparently is common of for > focuses. > I havent got a great deal of money to spend on finding out > what it is so i would like to find the peoblem pretty much > first time. If you have any ideas or agree with the suspension > arm theory please let me know. > > Any help would be greatly recieved!!!!! Thank you

whats sort of wabble? does the stearing wheele vibrate and move left right slightly..

usually caused by improperly ballanced wheels.

anything happened recently ? hit anything hard? tyre change?

Reply to
mordzy

"mordzy" wrote: > whats sort of wabble? does the stearing wheele vibrate and > move left right slightly.. > > usually caused by improperly ballanced wheels. > > anything happened recently ? hit anything hard? tyre change?

Went and had the wheels balanced to today and one of the alloys is warped, dont know how it could have happened as there is no damage to the alloy or tyre! i could put it on the back and it would not affect the car which is what i will probably do!

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Jon6399

Firstly, there is not a common lower suspension arm problem common to Foci, so find another Pub Gossiper. Anti Roll Bar drop links are abit weak on mk I's though, usually the near side will begin to clonk first at around

40-50k.

Your wheel wobble is more than likely a bent rim.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..