Undercoating / Undersealing

I noticed that my new swiss Focus Estate (wagon) only has undercoating towards the outside of the floorpan. The centre tunnel of the floorpan and the sections of the wheelhousings not covered by plastic protective panels are only painted metal. The mechanics assured me this was normal as due to the galvanized body, the usual thick PVC sealing is no longer required. Sealing is only used towards the outside of the floorpan due to stone hits. I checked under a few other cars on the lot, and it seems true. I'm wondering if this is a regional difference (i.e. Europe only) or are all Focus cars only partly undercoated? After growing up in Canada, it looks odd to see "bare" metal under a car.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.