Unique A/C quirk, or common problem with common fix?

    Got a 2001 Focus SE sedan (is that redundant?) that I've had more going on a year. Something I noticed early on, and have just been tolerating,
is that when I turn the heater fan direction dial all the way over to the right (for windscreen defrost), and the fan is turned on, the A/C light comes on. It's not just that the LED is on, either, as I can distinctly hear the A/C start up. No biggie, since I just press the button to turn the A/C off, and it won't just "snap" back on of its own accord.
    Is this something someone else has run into, or have I got a particularly unique short somewhere in the dash that may or may not be worth hunting down? Other than this little oddity, the car behaves exactly as it should, and has run like-new so far.
--
Scott Thomas, snipped-for-privacy@cs.rose-hulman.edu
http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~thomass /

imho:
Actually in many cars it's a feature. By having the a/c come one, it dries the air by removing mosture. Now the air is directed upward to your winsheild drying it out. This helps to defog thewindows when the car is both warm andcold.
So, I'm guessing this isn't a bug in your car, but I'm not a focus expert, so rely on your owner's manual for information.
later,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:49:25 GMT, Scott Thomas wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that the behaviour is by design. I guess Ford are thinking that your screen will be demisted faster by air dried by the aircon.
LJ

It's designed to work this way.
<Quote from page 37 of the UK owners manual circa 2001)
Front screen defrosting/demisting Set the air distribution control to (icon = the windscreen position). Outside air will flow into the vehicle.. As long as the air distribution control is set to (icon = the windscreen position) re-circulated air cannot be selected and the air conditioning will be turned on automatically. Make sure that the blower is on.
"The A/C extracts humidity from the air and the windows are demisted faster."
--
Alan

Most, if not all, modern cars with A/C are like this. It helps to dry the air going over the windshield.
I remember a few years ago I had a Dodge Shadow with this feature, and the A/C broke one hot foggy night during the height of summer and all of a sudden I had a hard time seeing . I had to crank the heat way up to get the windshield to clear, which was not fun.

You can be lucky it turns on the A/C LED at all, mine (1999) doesn't, while switching the A/C on. It's true that windscreens defrost faster with A/C turned on. The problem, never had any car which tended to fog inside as fast, as the Focus (wagon).
There were some enhancements in production. Ordered the improved parts and mounted them, but it didn't helped much. Luckily, my Focus has the heated windscreen, which is of great help.
'spostadothat.
Rob
My own 2004 focus sedan ghia only turns on AC when I press the AC button.
But my parents 2004 C-Max automatically starts AC if you set the airflow to defrost the windshield. Probably intended as a user-friendly feature ?
Erik M R
michael+ snipped-for-privacy@www.heiming.de says...