wagon vs ZX5

Had pretty well decided that a 2001 or 2002 wagon (Automatic, Zetec) was the way to go for my next vehicle. But now I am looking at the ZX5 - a bit sportier looking and seemingly slightly better equipped. Is there an
appreciable difference that I am missing? TIA for your help - you swayed me in favor of a Focus, now help me make up my mind :-) LOL! Renee
The trunk space is at least 50 percent larger in the wagon. That should be obvious, but If that's also an appreciable difference is entirely up to yourself. /per

The wagon (unless it's a ZTW, not available in 2001) doesn't have a tachometer nor fog-lights. I really wish I had those on my 2001 wagon.

Other than the obvious difference in headroom and cargo capacity, there's the surprising but minor fact that the wagon's shape has the lowest coefficient of drag of the 3 Focus body types. Total drag's probably about the same, though. No doubt, the wagon's one of the best small wagons. Do you really need one? Will you be gadding about, living the uprooted lifestyle, carrying your worldly wealth on your back?
We also found that the ZX5 tends toward the expensive in the used market, but this would obviously vary by region.
Have you considered the ZX3?
Walt Brand
I looked briefly at the ZX3, but I really need 4 doors. I am a minister, and often end up with three other adults in the car, running to one meeting or another (more possible with the Zx3 than many other hatchbacks from what I understand, but I know what it is like to climb into the back of a 2-door in a skirt and heels!) . I am looking at the wagon/ZX5 rather than the sedan largely because it would give me a good spot for my dog. I also do a lot of traveling, and look forward to the extra cargo space. Renee

I have a 2000 ZX3 and the cargo area is fine with me, but I consider it too small if I had a family. I guess it all depends on how large and how much stuff you have to carry around. John

In that case I heartily recommend the wagon. Unless you have a very large dog, there is enough room in the rear of the wagon for the pooch with the back seat up, which avoids wet noses in your ear while driving. Spoken from experience.