Weird Problem With The Fuel And Temperature Gauges.

My Dad has a Ford Focus 1.6 Automatic Estate (2002 - UK)
He removed the battery and recharged it.
He then refitted the battery and went for a short run.
When he got home, he switched off the ignition and the Fuel Gauge and Temperature Gauge went down to Zero but then shot up to the vertical (12 o'clock) position.
When he turns the ignition back on they both go back to zero and work properly as the car is running, but every time he switches off the ignition they go back to the 12 o'clock position again.
He has contacted Ford and they have no idea what is causing this, so I wondered if anyone could offer any advice?
Many Thanks
I have a 2003 Focus where all the dials and some of the lights stopped working but they all came back except for the fuel guage , main dealer diagnosed fuel pump/sender unit but before I could take it in the car refused to start , they then changed their minds and fitted a new dashboard cluster instead which cured all the problems except that the odometer is reading zero and said they could not program the actual milage back on to it, must check if this is correct as these "digital dashboard correctors" can do it why not Ford.