Weird trunk latch behavior

So, I have one 2000 focus se.
Now the interior trunk release button makes a ding sound like the keys are in the ignition with the door open when I press the release and the dash
lights momentarily turn on.
Odd? Yes.
Any thoughts what has happened? (there are no ODB-II codes and I have to open the trunk with the key)
--
John Nelson
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 08:56:20 +0000 (UTC), Chicago Paddling-Fishing

The switch does not go directly to the trunk lock, it goes to a control box. Maybe the trouble is there. Then again, the erratic control panel behavior is characteristic of an open ground problem, Maybe you have a loose ground in the control panel wiring.
This news group is about dead. Try "alt.autos.ford" and see if you get any help there.