When?

Hello. I'm new owner of Focus Combi 1.6 (1999). This car have 95 000km ran. Question is when I should replace camshaft belt (is it correct in english?).
Manual says after 150 000km or 5 years. Unofficial website says after 120 000km. Some fellows working with cars say I should do it right now. They suggest me that new belt should not be made by Ford because is weak.
Would you like to comment that?
best regards
--
Micha Kousznik
snipped-for-privacy@media-it.no.spam.net

This is correct.

This is not really correct but many people feel that is better to change the cambelt earlier than 150,000km than to risk it failing and causing a lot of damage. I would say that it is a good idea to do this. I have a 1.6 with 56,000 miles (90,000km). I will be changing my cam belt at 80,000 miles (130,000km).

Always use the genuine Ford belt. I have not seen anything to suggest that the Focus belt is weak.
--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website
That isnt true at all . the ford belt and the other belts are probably from the same company anyway,and there is no way a belt such as a timing belt is considered week.If you install one of theses belts and it breaks this means you either put the belt on to tight to start with or there was a catistophic failure do to a cam shaft locking up,again do to a over tightened belt. as i believe there are only 3 belt companies all together to start with.. Im not up on euro motors but all the 4 bangers over here are non interfering so, this means if the belt did break the valves wouldnt hit the pistons, is the 1.6 non interfering? if it is, it doesnt really matter if the belt breaks or not!We dont change our belts until 60k.. I hope this helps you. SENIOR MASTER FORD TECHNICIAN.
writes

ran.
english?).
me