Which engine do I have?

I am starting to shop for a used Focus, probably 2003/2004. Is there a way to tell by VIN no or somethings else which engine a car has? I know some are the lower HP but lower emisions
thanks jt

You didn't say what marketplace you were interested in, but
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_VIN_codes#Engine_codes_for_passenger_cars
might help in your search.
Happy modeming, Bill

If you are talking about North America, both the SPI and Zetec engines meet all emission specs. The difference is modest differences in power and fuel consumption. Open the hood, the engine cover will say very plainly what engine it has.

I'm in New York so Calaifornia emisions and loss of 6 HP. I'd rather buy a used cacr in Conneecticut anyway as less mad New York city Urban driving