which to go for age/mileage trade off

Hi

What is the thinking on car choice regarding age/mileage trade off?

if you had a choice between two cars below which would you choose?

The only difference is age and mileage price and everything else is identical.

Focus 1.8 Ghia, registered Jan. 2004, 53 plate 5,000 miles (older but less miles)

Focus 1.8 Ghia, registered Sep. 2004, 54 plate 19,000 miles

thanks for any thoughts

Reply to
Nospam

Pop-N-Fresh

If the service book shows 2 , possibly 3 service stamps EVERY 12 months on this car, and it comes with some warranty to cover things like seized brakes etc, and the body was unmarked (i.e. not been a town dodgem) then I would be temped to go for this car.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Do both have maintenance done at the proper intervals? Note that low mileage cars may need some services done by time limits rather than mileage.

Also, low mileage may be more likely to be city mileage or cold start short trips. Or the car sat for long periods of time without being driven. A car used in such manner may be more worn than people may assume based on the mileage.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

The mileage on either is low. I would ignore the mileage as a consideration. I'd look for other reasons to differentiate these two cars.

Reply to
Spam Hater