Windscreen wipers

Hi Folks I have owned a Focus Ghia Estate since 1999 and everytime I use the wipers they make a loud clicking noise at the top of their passage across the
windscreen as they change direction. Has anyone else had this problem and if so have you found a solution? The noise is worse at higher speeds and becomes non existent below 30 mph. It is so bad that I dread driving any distance in the rain and occasionally I have had to put up with it for 350 miles at a time. Any suggestions will be gratefully received. Peter

I never heard of this problem, but i would take a look at the windshieldwipermotor (scrabble anyone?) and the lever system that drives the wipers, something might be loose or broken.
--
Bezit en wijsheid zijn illusies

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I can not be sure now whether the wiper arms are the originals or not but I have definitely replaced the rubbers from time to time. I will replace the whole blades with a good brand and hope that this helps. Thanks again everyone. Peter
says...

I have the same problem but it is intermiitent and only began after the wiper arms were replaced. It is a very load click as you say at the extreme end of the travel. I never suspected the wiper motor as this noise resulted after replacing the arms but would open to reason how replacing the arms can affext the mechanism as a whole. I have never had this problem with any other car. Ray
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 10:44:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@roundabout.com wrote:

No its not the drive, its the arms, some brands do this when they "flip over" at the end of the travel when direction is changed. Its usually louder when there is little water on the screen than at heavy rain. Are Your arms Ford spare parts?
--
Kjell Harnesk, Sweden

The original wipers on my Focus were unpleasantly noisy as they changed direction at the end of travel. The noise went away when I replaced them with independent brand wiper assemblies..

Hello again I have bought new Bosch wiper assemblies and the problem has disappeared. Thanks again. Peter

I had a noise whilst driving in heavy rain and wind the arms where taken further on their travel by the wind and were striking the pillar making a clicking noise
In article
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

This is pure poetry!!!
;-)