Yellow Light with "!"

What does it mean when a yellow light with the "!" comes on then the car dies? My girlfriend's '01 Focus keeps doing that. It recently had the belt tensioner pulley replaced but I wouldn't think that had anything to do with it. It also had the fuel pump replaced from Ford under warranty. Any ideas?

Reply to
mykul_71

The (!) indicator is the break system warning light. It can mean that your parking break is on or if it isn't on it usually indicates low break fluid level. You should not drive the car until the problem is fixed.

Reply to
Bill R

Ok,cool. Thanks for the info Bill!!

Reply to
mykul_71

The (!) indicator is Multifunction light for Automatic Transaxle or cooling system on Zetec or automatic transaxle vehicles only. If it illuminates while driving you need to get the vehicle into a dealer you have a problem.

Check your owners manual it explains the light the same.

It is nothing to do with the brake system.

The (!) indicator is the break system warning light. It can mean that your parking break is on or if it isn't on it usually indicates low break fluid level. You should not drive the car until the problem is fixed.

Reply to
Henri

Well, I checked the brake fluid and it was fine. When my girl friend got to my house she told me that the car would not shift out of second gear. I'll tell her to take it in to get the transmission looked at. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
mykul_71

I have a 2001 as well and I had that light come on a couple years ago. I took it into the shop and it was a problem with the transmission fluid temp sensor. They had to remove the trans pan, flush and replace the trans fluid and replace the sensor, worked just fine afterwards and haven't had another problem with it since. I was having the same symptoms too fyi.

Reply to
shelma