Zetec oil filler cap removal

Not a Focus in this case, but the 2 litre Zetec engine fitted to a 2000 Mondeo.

I recently inherited this car, and cannot remove the oil filler cap. It will turn (and click) in the 'closed' direction, but will not budge when attempting to undo. I've tried lifting, pushing down and it won't shift.

I picked up a new filler cap recently to replace this one, but I need to get this one off first! I don't really want to take the rocker box off, and I'm not happy with snapping this one off and picking the bits out of the filler hole (although I understand that this is quite safe).

Any handy hints out there?

Cheers,

Al.

Reply to
Al

Pour it in the dipstick 'ole ;)

Sorry, cant really be of more help than to say push it down hard and twist it anti-clockwise even harder. They do sometimes shear off, but this isnt a massive issue...

Reply to
Richard Parkin

I had exactly this problem with my Focus, shortly after getting it. Its fairly common- the solution is to break off the 'lumpy' bit thats spins around clicking with a well-applied screwdriver, which will reveal the threaded part underneath. With some suitable plumbers wrench you;ll be able to grip and unscrew the remainder...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The car was in for a service and a few repairs today, and although I gave them a spare filler cap to fit, they just used more brute force than I was happy to apply and it came free. Cap is now easy to remove :-)

Al.

Reply to
Al