Zetec Stumble and Stall

My 01 Focus S2 with Zetec was giving a bad DPFE code and had all the signs/symptons associated but the car was still very driveable. Yesterday it got worse, car would want to stall when idling and occassionally would have no power for a few minutes then clear up and run fine. I changed DPFE and reset computer by unhoooking battery for a hour last nite. This cleared trouble code, but I am still having same problem (although a little better than yesterday) on a 30mile ride into work this morning it ran pretty good when cold, but once it warmed up and I started hitting stop and go, it started stumbling bad, wanting to stall, then it had no power for anout 5 miles (in middle of nowhere) so I kept chuggin on, then all of a sudden it started running great for a few mile befor acting up again. And again no trouble codes being given, check engine light is off.

Anyone have any ideas? I am considering going ahead and replacing EGR valve itself and replacing fuel filter? If i disconnect airhose to EGR valve the stumble stall shoud go away if its the EGR, can the EGR get stuck open? Could dealer have given me bad dpfe or one with wrong calibration?

Thanks for anyinput.

Reply to
tekguy4

Disconnecting vacuum line to egr valve didnt help, if I understand correct, this should caused the EGR to stay closed (which should have cleared up the stumble if its egr or dpfe related) and the computer to cause the check engine light to come on.

Result problem still there and no check engine light came on.

Reply to
tekguy4

What kind of Focus is an S2 model?

Anyone have any ideas? I am considering going ahead and replacing EGR valve itself and replacing fuel filter? If i disconnect airhose to EGR valve the stumble stall shoud go away if its the EGR, can the EGR get stuck open? Could dealer have given me bad dpfe or one with wrong calibration?

Thanks for anyinput.

Reply to
Henri

Series 2, or facelift version.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Must be a UK model.

The North American 2000 - 2003 Focus cars have a problem with the fuel module ( pump), the problems you are having are similar to a fuel module going bad.

Series 2, or facelift version.

Tim..

Reply to
Henri

It's a limited edition North American model (2001 or 2002?) with a few minor enhancements. If I remember correctly it has some suspension upgrades, a spoiler on the rear hatch and a chrome exhaust tip.

HTH, Bob

Reply to
Bob Roberts

All s2's where American 2001 models with Liquid Grey Metallic Paint and Dark Charcoal (black) interior with a unique (to the S2) pattern on the seat and chrome exhaust tip.

The big enhancemnt was that S2's came with a different suspension package. In europe at that time focus's where sold with basically 3 suspension packages from Ford. 'Soft', 'Medium' and 'Hard'

All american FOcuses where equipped to what is equivelant to the European 'soft' suspension package. The S2 came with what basically equals the 'medium' european suspension packege. From underneath the car you can see S2 labels on various suspension pieces.

I never drove an SVT version, but I have driven a couple regular focuses and mine does have a firmer more controlled feel on the road.

Reply to
tekguy4

Anyways, friday I drove home from work fine, like car never had a problem, saturday I drove 70 miles round trip to pick up a fuel pump, car ran like new, no problems.

So saturday I did the following: Replace PCV valve, replace fuel filter, changed oil, cleaned Air filter (I have CAI), clean MAF and EGR valve, then added some fuel system cleaner to tank. Car ran wonderfully all day saturday. (did not change fuel pump as it was runnning great)

Sunday, I filled tank and car started running crappy again. (it runs alot better than last week but car refuses to idle- it will just stall out if I dont keep it revved above 1000rpm, also minor stumbling on occasion) I realized car for last 2 days was around 1/3 tank or less.

So I am assuimg that this weekend like it or not I am dropping tank and changing pump. But from what I whave read and what seems obvious, fuel pump issues usually get worse when tank gets lower, I seem to have opposite. I will know for sure by friday if my car runs better as week goes on (and tank gets lower).

Anyone have any thoughts? Since I am dropping tank (what a pain in the ass that is going to be), I want to clean it out, any ideas or tips on what works best to remove any residue or smudge that might be there?

Reply to
tekguy4

Sure, let Ford do it for you...for free.

-- Don

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are much more pliable. ~ Mark Twain

Reply to
Don McC

Checking out my coil I noticed the connection harness is brittle and cracked.

I have just ordeered a new genuine ford coil ($39 delivered, gotta luv ebay) to replace the old one.

Anyone know where I can source the 'harness' for my car, besides Ford, called a couple dealers and cheapest price was $65 for a 4 prong harness that costs maybe a dollar to produce.

Anyone know the coil-wire harness part number?

I can check junkyards and cut one out, but I have read these things get brittle with age, so I would rather off buy a new one.

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
tekguy4