01 Expedition transmission locking up

My 2001 Expedition will seem to be running and driving fine and then all of a sudden the transmission seems to lock up. Once you slow down you can give it gas and drive it again. The transmission fluid is clean and there was no evidence of wear when I pulled the transmission pan. Does this vehicle just need a rebuilt transmission or is there something else that could cause this problem? The problem occurs frequently when trying to drive the vehicle. Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Kevin

Reply to
Kev

You should have it scanned for any fault codes that may have been set. If there are no fault codes, I would go with what many call the nuetral switch on the side of the trans. It tell the ECM which gera position you have selected. If it goes bad which was frequent in older models, it loses continuity and the ECM doesn't know this. It therefore starts looking for which gear is selected resulting in some pretty weird erratic self shifting. If that doesn't do it, you will need a good tech check it out thoroughly. Parts cost should be unfer $50 and you can do this yourself if you have a few metric tools and are handy. Unce you get it up and sevured high enough to get under it, the job should take less than 30 minutes if you have to read the instructions as you go.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

What do you mean by "lock-up"? Do you mean it stops shifting, or that it literally "locks up." Is your truck a 4x4?

You should join the Expedition Owners Group mailing list and ask that group about the problem. See

.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

No, it's a 2 wheel drive. It will be going along at let's say 30 to 35 mph and then it seems like the drive train locks up and the vehicle slows very quickly to 5 mph, and then it feels like whatever grabbed, lets go and you can drive it again for 10 feet or a mile,it is inconsistent.

Kev

Reply to
Kev

Reply to
lugnuts

Reply to
lugnuts

Reply to
lugnuts

Reply to
lugnuts

This sounds dangerous to me. I suggest you get to a dealer ASAP.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White