'06 ignition switch

Hey gang,

The ignition switch on my '06 Ranger started giving me troubles today. When I first noticed it, if I wiggled the key in the "ACC" position, the power would come on and off, but now it doesn't even do that. It starts and runs fine and all the accessories work in the "RUN". My gut feeling (backed up by the shop manual) is that I'm looking at an entire ignition switch replacement.

My question is: do you think that the problem will remain isolated to the "ACC" position, or is my truck getting ready to leave me stranded? I can live with no "ACC" switch until I get around to fixing it, but I want to be able to trust it until then.

Thanks.

Reply to
Blank Flange

IMHO it's a crap shoot, I would go ahead and order the parts now

nate

Reply to
N8N

Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning too. I'm just not looking forward to messing around with air bags and transponder keys.

W.

IMHO it's a crap shoot, I would go ahead and order the parts now

nate

Reply to
Blank Flange

well if it is a two part switch - you probably only need the electromechanical portion, not the lock cylinder itself and not the bit that reads the xponder key, unless it is integrated. that's just off the top of my head though, I don't havea ny vehicle-specific knowledge in this instance

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Good point. Another read through the manual shows me that the removal of the lock cylinder is pretty straight forward. I'll try that and open up the steering column and see how things look inside... maybe I'll get lucky. Also, it looks like I can leave the air bag and steering wheel alone for this (phew!).

W.

Reply to
Blank Flange

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:09:15 -0300, Blank Flange rearranged some electrons to say:

snipped-for-privacy@u9g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...

You still probably want to disconnect the battery before you get anywhere near the air bag system.

Reply to
david

Yes, good advice.

Reply to
Blank Flange

So I finally got around to opening things up and having a look - a relatively simple operation as things turned out.

The ignition lock cylinder and associated linkages were all fine, everything pointed to the actual switch under the steering column (more under the dash, really). I popped it off and had a look - it was a simple multi-position switch with not too much that could apparently go wrong with it. Of course it was riveted together as most such "non-serviceable" parts are. I drilled out the factory rivets, cleaned the interior connections with contact cleaner and Q-Tips, applied a liberal dose of dialectic grease, reassembled the switch (replacing the missing rivets with 1/8" bolts and nuts) and re-installed it in the vehicle. Yes, everything works flawlessly now. There must have been some gunge on one of the contacts or something because a 5 minute cleaning was all it took. I just love these zero cost maintenance success stories... especially when they're mine!

On a side note, I wonder if the poster with starting issues may be suffering a similar problem. After all, the "Run" and "Start" functions are just different sections of this very same switch with exactly the same type of contacts and therefore (I assume) would be subject to exactly the same kind of failure. You never know, cleaning a switch is a low risk/high return type of thing to try.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice... this is a good day.

W.

Reply to
Blank Flange

That is an excellent point about Start and Run. Not entirely correct but a good point nonetheless. Start has an extra contact, but if Run is not capable of working, Start will probably be gone too. And, if the contatcs were dirty, it would explain why it works sometimes but not other times. Cleaning never hurt anything.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The Start Contact is not the Run Contact, which is why they call one START and one RUN.

I agree that the switch might be the problem, but for a little bit of a different reason. My Jeep CJ5 uses the GM version of this mechanism -- which save the shape of the parts is pretty much identical -- and I had a problem that was the start switch. I had intermittent no-start problems. I think I replaced the swtich instead of cleaned it, but I don't see that as a germain part of the discussion.

Honestly, I'm not sitting here thinking up ways to demonstrate that I'm an ass. Sorry if you took it that way.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

What the hell ? It was entirely and totallly correct. PART OF THE SAME SWITCH>

what the f*ck Jeff , y r u such an ass ? Like to see your ownself talk huh?

Reply to
samstone

Not wishing to pour gas on the fire, but really we're all saying the same thing. I originally mentioned the "Run" and "Start" functions... not the "Run and Start" function (notice the subtle difference). The switch has four positions:(from back to front):

1) Accessory 2) Off 3) Run 4) Start (technically Run/Start, since the "Run" contacts are also engaged in this position)

Anyway, hopefully no feelings are hurt, nobody is an ass and the dude with the intermittent start issues on his '07 has something else to try when/if the Honda mechanics give up.

Still bustin' after a successful repair, W. (Blank Flange)

2006 Ranger Sport 2010 Fusion SEL

Jeff, he was looking in the mirror when he wrote that, and appears to have gotten a bit confused.

Reply to
PeterD