1956 F100 with a Detroit Diesel 4-53 Engine

Cool! Is that a little 2-stroke blower motor (like a smaller 4-71)? I didn't even know they made a 53 series, so I'm clueless.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
djdave

They made a 3-53, 4-53, 6V-53, 3-71, 4-71 (several versions), 6-71 (several versions), 6V-71 (two versions) and two versions of a

8V-71. THe 53 and 71 stood for number of cubic inches per cylinder. The 8V-71 versions developed over 750 ft lbs of torque at 1200 RPM. ALso the V-71's had a 4.5 inch main bearing journal diameter that was one inch bigger than V53's and all other 71's. (that is one big bearing!)

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

There were 53, 71 and 92 Series, commonly, a rare 51 Series valveless engine, and the 110 and 149 Series. 92s are all V-types. The 71 was the first "Detroit Diesel" but they were descended from Winton engines.

The truck isn't mine, I just found that link.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

SnoMan wrote: <<snip>>

There were 2,3,4, V6 and V8s in the 53, 1,2,3,4, 6V, 8V, 12V and 16Vs in the 71 and V6, V8, and V12 in the 92s. There were also twin-block

16Vs in the 92s and other doubleups, There was also a vertical crank "corncob" engine and other oddballs, including spark ignition methanol burning engines and aluminum block variants, some of which had stainless or titanium everything so as to be nonmagnetic for minesweepers.
Reply to
Bret Ludwig

THat is a lot of applications. I have a truck manual here that covers light and meduim duty truck appliction from about 1959 to 1972. I beleive that they powered many deisel locomotives with version of that basic engine design (on a very large scale though)

SnoMan