1977 ford f250 400 v8 ignition timing

Can someone tell me what the correct ignition timing is for my truck. I have read that its 4 btdc and 6, 8, 12, and 14. I have a 600 holley

4 barrel on it. Thanks, jimmy
Reply to
jsbonn003

leave the vacuum line on, run the throttle to 3000 and set it at 30 btdc. This method will never fail you on an older engine. Safety wise, have a partner on the brake and throttle.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I am going to try that. Thank you for the quick reply. Thanks, jsbonn

Reply to
jsbonn003

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q23g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

If you do this you will be retarded on the mec advance. the vaccume advance on most of these is almost 20 to 25 degrees. that will leave you with only 10 degrees mech at 3000 rpm. the spec for the 400 much of the time was 4 degrees. that year eng is very timeing sensitive. try setting it at 6 degrees and advance it 2 degrees at a time untill pinging is heard then back it off 2 degrees. if you have modified the eng all bets are off, and you will have to do extended testing to get a correct mech advance and basic timing spec. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff