1983 Ford Ranger 2.3l 4cyl, 5 speed manual

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem also. After 10 min. of driving and truck is warm, there is a constant high pitch squeal or whine whenever the truck is coasting, gearing down or braking. The pitch is constant. It does not change with engine speed or transmission selection. The noise disappears under load/ acceleration. It can also be heard during idle. I've taken it to a garage. The mechanic mentioned it may be coming from the distributer. Truck has been in dry storage for 5 years. All fluids checked and replaced. Belt is tight. Any thoughts?? Thank You

Reply to
paulxinfinity

It's a vacuum leak. The times at which you hear the noise is when the vacuum pressure is highest. When you push the pedal down, you decrease vacuum. Look/listen for a split hose or maybe a leaky carburetor base gasket.

CJB

Reply to
CJB