1986 F150 5.0 runs Lean

I have a 1986 F150 long bed 4X4 with a EFI 5.0 ltr V8 I bought off craigslist. It has been sitting for over ten years. I've replaced all the outside components like plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. The EGR looks and tests new. I ultrasonically cleaned the injectors, and put it all back together. It seems to run OK with a little hesitation. I have a code reader and it comes up with a 41 and a 31. One points to the EGR low voltage and the other indicates the vehicle is running lean. Does anyone no what I can check or change to fix this problem. Next thing I'm looking at is taking apart the throttle body and cleaning it.

Thanks Dennis B Sac, CA

Reply to
Safety man

Dennis,

I can't offer any help, but I am curious about the truck's ten year nap. Were there any special measures taken to store it?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

All I know is that it was purshased at a Lien sale in 02 and the old man that bought it had dune some work on it up until he died. I bought the truck from a guy that hauled it away for the widow. It's in pretty good shape for as long as it has been off the road. Paint is a little faded, and I keep fighting the spiders that live on it, but we'll get there.

Dennis

Reply to
Safety man

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:37:20 -0800, Safety man rearranged some electrons to say:

Rotten,leaky vacuum hoses would cause a lean condition.

Reply to
david

I'd really scrutinize the vacuum reservoir (looks like a tomato juice can) probably got some rust holes in it.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Dennis,

Were fluids drained or periodically changed? Was it inside or out, covered? Tire maintenance?

Re spiders, at least inside the cab, you could put out some diatomaceous earth, either directly on the floor or in shallow containers. I would not want to cover mechanical components with it; use at your own risk. The idea is to get them to walk through it. It's said to tear the dickens out of their joints, which is fatal to them. It's a little cruel, but it beats getting bitten. I would also put some roach traps in it. Spiders will tend to leave if the buffet gets sparse. Having dealt with an infestation, I fully believe there comes a point when the spiders simply feed on each other, but even that can be reduced with time, and a truck is probably not big enough to support it anyway. I took a house from the point of being unable to enter a room without seeing at least two spiders walking around in the open (they were everywhere) to normal levels (they were around, but you had to look for them). Along the way, the numbers dropped, and I started seeing bigger spiders with time; I could be wrong, but I think the decreasing food supply brought the bigger guys out in desperation, and then they died off. Good luck.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Here in Tucson you just park in the Sun with the windows rolled up. Everything dies:) Guess the same would happen in cold country.

Al

Reply to
Big Al