1986 Ranger won't turn off

I have a 1986 base model (wheelbarrow with an engine) Ranger. We use it for hauling rocks, the wife will pick up feed, that kind of thing. Anyhow, the other day, I was moving some stuff, stopped, turned off the key, it sputtered a little, then ran on. I clicked it back on, tried again, still running. I pushed the key lock button and removed the key, still running. Finally, I stalled it by holding the brake and releasing it in gear. Bad news was that the thing still thought it was on - dead battery. Since I have recharged the battery, and run it a few times. The above situation has happened 2 more times, and didn't probably 8 times.

What's going on?

(Right now, it seems to be OK, but who knows...)

Dob

Reply to
Dob

"Dob" > wrote

That is one of THE BEST things I have ever read on usenet! As for what your problem is....I'll guess ignition lock....but the main point is I like that analogy you made. Good job, Dob!!!

Reply to
bomar

Glad I could bring some joy to you. Fact is, it really is a wheelbarrow with an engine, roll up windows, vinyl seats, rubber mats, no a/c. But, ya know, it does what we want it to do! (Most of the time!) Dob

Reply to
Dob

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 02:26:46 +0000, bomar rearranged some electrons to form:

Ignition SWITCH, not lock, would be my guess.

Reply to
David M

I assume you're pulling a battery cable to save the battery going dead now until you find the problem. Ignition switch is most likely.

Reply to
Al Bundy

That's what I meant to say!!!! Switch, not lock

Reply to
bomar

Interesesting that you called it that. I have a '85 Bronco II that I call a "motorised wheelbarrow" that is used on my parents farm now... had the same problem too , and strangely enough, replacing the starter solenoid cured the problem... Before anyone jumps me for this answer, all i can say is, it worked.. it may not have been the root cause, but somehow it fixed the problem, since this beast is not driven on the road anymore and parks out next to the barn anyway, we routinely pull the battery cable to keep the battery from goign dead anyway,,,

MONGO

Reply to
HAUSWULVEN

I am going to try that (solenoid, or "starter relay switch" as referred to in my manual). When jumping (and yes I do USUALLY pull the cable off the battery) the solenoid makes a racket, was thinking a bout replacing anyhow... Will let y'all know how it turns out. Don't hold your breath, not sure when I'll get to it... Dob

Reply to
Dob

Well, I got to it today. Did the "simple" tune up thing: plugs, cap, rotor, filters... Did the solenoid too. Hard to tell if it's fixed though as it was not a constant problem. We'll see - thanks for the input. Dob

"Dob" wrote in news:pbN1d.145205$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

Reply to
Dob