1988 F150 4x4

Hi Guys need some help here....

I took a 302 motor out of my truck and want to put in a 351 Windsor, I was wondering on a 351 motor what kind of ring gear fits an AOD transmission...is it the same as a 302 ring gear 1988 F150 4x4 model ?

Thanks Lawrence

Reply to
Leanne

Do you mean flywheel? (Flywheel with a standard transmission, flexplate with an auto)

The flywheel/flexplate is the same, down to the 289cu.in.

The ring gear mounts to the differential carriers in the axles.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Thanx for your reply Spdloader,

Its an automatic tranny with over drive. I just was wondering if a ring gear from the 351 I want to put in is the same size as the 302 I took out ? Will the same one fit ?

Reply to
Leanne

Again, if you are talking about the flexplate, which connects the crankshaft to the torque converter, then, yes, they are the same. Be sure to observe that it has a specific bolt pattern on the crankshaft. If you are talking about a ring gear, which has nothing to do with the transmission directly, then it depends on a lot of other things.

I'm going to assume you are talking about swapping in a 351W, and you should have very few problems. The 351W is a little taller, and a little wider, but the exhaust manifolds will fit, too.

Good luck!

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Thanks alot Spdloader for all your help...greatly appreciated.

Lawrence

Reply to
Leanne

You're welcome. Let me know how it goes.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

The flexplate will need to be changed. The 302 used a 50oz/in balance and the 351 used 28.2 oz/in balance. Since the AOD was rarely offered behind a 351 you will need to find a flexplate from a late 80s-early

90s crown vic. Also pay carefull attention to the cable linkage from the AOD as it is very touchy.
Reply to
hakko808

I can buy a '91 Crown Vic with a 351, allegedly a good motor. Would that be a good transplant for my 302 '94? Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B