1988 f250 4x4 302 or 351??

I just bought a 1988 f250 4x4 & I'm trying to find out if I have a 302 EFI or a 351EFI ??? The truck was a theft recovery, & was rolled. The cab has been replaced as well as the vin tag. The motor is original & stock, but I can't tell if it's a 302 or a 351 ??? Does anyone know what the engine casting numbers are for a 302 or 351???? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
zahia6

Cast into the top of the aluminum intake of the engine, viewed from the passenger side, does it say 5.0, or 5.8?

5.0 = 302 5.8 = 351

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Ford didnt put the 302 in the F-250. The 351 was the bottom line engine for that size of truck, and the upgrade for the F-150 over the 302, and the baseline engine for the F-150 in that year was the 4.9L.

The reason for this was that the 351 is a big block, and the 302 is a small block engine. So they could put a 351, 460, or diesel in those trucks and use the same tranny for all of them.

So, if that engine is the original, it will be the 351. One sure fire way to tell is by looking at the intake. If it has twin 3" intake hoses from the breather box, then its a 351. Also the 302 has the intake curved over to the drivers side, and the 351 pulls air in on the pass. side. Check out the photos on this page of the guys 5.8L in his bronco:

But like I said at the start of this post. Ford didnt put the 302 in the F-250. It just didnt have the torque needed to do the job.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:14:43 -0600, Ford Tech rearranged some electrons to form:

Wrong.

The 351W is a small block. It is of the same design as the 302 block. It uses the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 302, same bore, same bore spacing, same camshaft, 3.5" stroke (vs. 3.0" for the 302). The crankshaft journals are larger, as is the deck height.

Reply to
David M

Two things: First, I owned an '88 with a 302, it was factory, had a 4 speed behind it and 4WD, bought it brand new in Parkersburg, WV. One of my buddies up there still owns the truck. It was also available with the 4.9L I-6. Tons of

3/4ton trucks were sold with the 4.9L or the 5.0L engine, been workin' on 'em for years.

Second, the 5.8L 351W is a small block, not a big block. The 289, 302, and

351W are/were all small blocks with the same bolt pattern.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Wrong . (about the small block/big block thing) The 300 six, the 302, the

351W, 351C, all the same bellhousing pattern. 351M, 429, and 460 share a bellhousing pattern.
Reply to
Steve Barker

Hey Steve, weren't the 330, 352, 360, and 390 in yet another class called the "intermediate block" family?

I don't remember for sure, but I do know they have yet another bolt pattern.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I should have explained myself further. I was thinkin 351M.. Which is a big block, its just a down sized 400. However the smaller 351W is a small block.

However for the fella that stated he had a 302 in his F-250 and factory original, that would be a first on me. The smallest engine I have EVER seen in a 3/4t truck is the 351M.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Those are the "FE" 's along with the ones you mentioned add the 410, 427,

428
Reply to
Steve Barker

FYI:

The Ford FE series engine was used in vehicles between 1958 and 1976. The FE series includes the 332, 352, 360, 361, 390, 391, 406, 410, 427 and 428 CID engines.

The Ford 335 series engine was used in vehicles between 1970 and 1982. The

335 series includes the 351C, 302C(Australian market), 400 and 351M CID engines.

The Ford Windsor series engine was used in vehicles between 1962 and 1997. The Windsor series includes the 221, 255, 260, 289, 302 and 351W CID engines.

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

Here's a pic. standing on the passenger side of the truck........

zahia6

Can you get a pic of the whole motor?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

That would be a 351. You can tell by the way the manifold folds over towards the passengers side, and not the drivers side of the engine. As you can tell from these next two photos. The first one a 5.0L is looped over the drivers side valve cover. The second one, the intake is looped over the pass. side valve cover.

for the 5.0L engine, btw I know its not a ford that the engine is setting in, but its a 5.0L mustang engine.
For the 5.8L engine.. Note the pic of this engine, is in an 89 Ford Bronco. I am sure it looks like the photo of your engine..

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Ford NEVER made a 351 "big block"!

The 351M(Ford 335-Series Family) a de-stroked 400 was manufactured on the Cleveland production line from 1974 to 1979, 1982 was the last year the M-block was sold. Very few of these 351M's had the small block 302 transmission bolt pattern, most came with the big block 460 transmission bolt pattern. The heads from all 335-Series will bolt onto a 302 small block, not the 460 big block, although the water jackets and outlets are not the same. The only 351 available in 1988 was a 351 Windsor "small block", that shares the same head and transmission bolt pattern with the 302, not the 460. The 302 and 351 were both available in the F-150 and the F-250 in 1988.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

I don't know about the 330, or 360 but I believe the 352, 390, 428, and a couple of others were "FE" family engines. DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 16:56:55 -0600, Ford Tech rearranged some electrons to form:

Good backpedaling, except there was no 351M in 1988.

The 351M is a member of the '335' family, which also includes the 351C. The 351M is nearly identical to the 400, except with a shorter stroke.

Incidentally, the 351C shares the same bell housing bolt pattern as the small-block. The 400 block has the '385' bell housing bolt pattern (429/460).

Reply to
David M

The 351M also shares the 385 bellhousing pattern. So, I don't see how it could be in the 335 family at all. There were a very few 351M's with the small block pattern, but they are very rare.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Steve,

After doing some reading. The 351M as well as the 400 are part of the 335 family. I have no clue what that 335 stands for, as this is the first time I have EVER seen these numbers. Must be a bunch of engineers on here or something. Anyway, David M is correct in saying that the 351M is of the 335 family, but he forgot to mention that the 400 was as well.

What also was not mentioned was that the 351M and the 400 both got the 385 FE bolt pattern for the transmissions, so as to bolt up to the C-6.

You can read up on it here:

Then after all yer alls deciding to look this up, I decided to look it up myself. It appears after reading another page that the 302 was in fact offered in the 87-91 F-250 according to this page:

So, now that I have a pretty damn good history on the 5.0,5.8, 7.5, & 6.9L engines for the 1988 MY, I am done with this thread. The OP got his answer from his photo. He has a 351 in his truck. Although the 5.0 was available, it wasnt put into alot of trucks.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 19:51:30 -0600, Steve Barker rearranged some electrons to form:

Oh, but it is. It is the same block as the 400, which is an extension of the 351C.

Reply to
David M

Sorry, but the 385 Family is not the FE family of engines. The 400 (at least with the C6) has the same pattern as the 429, 460 and I assume the rest of the 395 family. That is why I was able to swap the 400 in my 78 F150 with a

429CJ. DaveD.

//snipped for brevity///

Reply to
Dave and Trudy