1988 Full Size Bronco Ignition Question

I posted this one over in Ford Tech as well, still looking for an answer.

Hey Gang, I'm having a problem with the ignition on my truck. I know what the problem is, but I don't know what the part is called. I'm hoping someone here can give me a little help figuring it out.

OK, here we go...

When you turn the key, the cylinder unlocks and gears inside of the housing move. The gears are connected to a hunk of metal with teeth on the bottom. It is shaped kind of like a reversed "7" when you look at it from the front. This piece has a small loop at the end of it, that loop is connected to a rod. The rod has a small knob that the toothed mechanism attaches to, when the key turns forward the loop presses on the knob and moves the rod forward and backwards. When it it pushed all the way forward, it starts the motor, when it is pulled all the way back, the engine turns off. Still with me?

The rod (the one that presses on the switch that starts the motor) is held in place by an aluminum bar. That aluminum bar has broken. Now when you turn the key, the rod moves left to right, rather than in and out, therefore it doesn't depress on the switch and the motor doesn't start.

In order to get around this, I have removed the lock cylinder and the plastic shroud that covers the steering column, allowing me manual access to the rod. I can start/kill the truck with the remote start or a pair of needlenose pliers. I am absolutely certain that with my luck I am going to get pulled over and be accused of having stolen the truck. I need to get that 'knob' replaced so the rod moves in the proper direction. I also need the cylinder put back in. I have done it in the past but it was a pain in the ass.

Does anyone know what the name of the knob is? Does anyone have a clue what this is going to run me??

Thanks!!

Reply to
lorenbachman

I think I understand, You turn the key and the motor starts, but when you turn the key the other way, nothing happens.

I had this problem on my '95 Bronco. It was kind of a bitch to fix, but I managed. the parts I needed are only available from the dealer, but the parts you need can be found at the auto parts store. I recall your part as costing about $7.00 at my local NAPA store. they insisted it would work, but the actual part I needed had changed from that which is in the catalog. I still have the NAPA part (655-1296 IGNITION ACTUATOR) The package says, RESTORES PROPER IGNITION OPERATION WITHIN STEERING COLUMN. The part is about

3" long with a curvy part on one end.

There is another part that this part connects to, and eventually all of these parts connect to the key at one end and the Ignition Switch at the other.

You will have to remove the steering wheel and do a partial disassembly of the steering column, but all of the operation can be done from the driver's seat, and should take about 2 hours. You will have a bit of a learning curve that will stretch the time line a bit, but an afternoon should be more than enough time. Get the two linkage parts before you get started so you don't have to add the run-around time to your repair time.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hey Jeff, That is the part, good work! Man, I didn't think anyone was going to know what I was talking about on this one.

I think the problem I'm having is the part that is sticking off the top, it looks like a "U" is busted. That is where the 'Rod' that depresses the switch that starts the motor sits. My problem now is that instead of applying pressure to the switch, it slips and does nothing. Thus using the pliers to push down on the switch.

I have taken down the steering column before, but I have no idea how to get that actuator out of there. This one might be a job for the shop. Not to mention getting the key cylinder lined up with the gears in the housing is a real hassle.

Thanks Jeff!

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
lorenbachman

When the steering wheel is off, and the turn signal switch is out, the Ignition Lock Set will be visible, the linkage you need will be obvious when you get that far.

I had to replace thus part on my '95 Bronco and my '81 Jeep CJ5. The actual parts are not the same, but they do the same job and reside in pretty much the same positions. Only the physical shape is different.

You do not need to physicaly remove the steering column, all you need do is remove the steering wheel, turn signal switch and steering lock. The stuff you are looking for is near the top of the stack of stuff they cram inside the steering column. If you have Tilt Steering, then there is an added level of complexity, but it's still a job that you can do at home. The part number I gave you IS the part that has the u-shaped thingie that you have busted off.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks a lot Jeff! I'll get cracking on this on my next day off. Using the keys again will sure beat starting her with a pair of pliers.

Thanks!

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
lorenbachman

My Bronco decided to ignore the keys while I was in the mall parking lot. I had to pull the coil wire to shut the morot off, then pull the ground wire off the battery to shut the electrics down. I was able to start my truck with the key, but I could not shut it off.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland