1989 Bronco II sluggish...

I hope someone can help me with my little problem. I recently had the tranny rebuilt on my Bronco II and now it seems to be real sluggish when you first apply the gas. Once it gets going it's fine, it shifts out of first a little slow (3500 rpm) but then it runs great. The rpm follow the speed so I hope it's vacuum related and not the tranny. Please if anyone has seen this before or has some ideas, respond here so that we can all learn. Thanks. P.S. I love my Bronco II but the Ford A4LD (Automatic 4 speed Light Duty) transmission is a piece of $%#&. Way to light for a four wheel drive vehicle.

Reply to
JORGE

two possibilities:

wrong converter

modulator adjusted wrong

and the A4 is perfect for the Ranger and B-II, it is not a C6 or an E4OD and never will be, so thinking it should be will just get you stranded along the road..........I use one in an 88 Ranger to pull a 16-ft car hauler, have hauled 3K + worth of auto parts on it, with a little common sense and keeping it out of OD, it does just fine, the one in my 86 Ranger was going strong at 166 k when I sold the truck

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I agree with Gary. If they installed a new torque converter they may have installed one with a lower stall speed. They may not have even realized what they did since most shops order bulk supplies of torque converters.

The other possibility is that when the transmission was out, they engine lays backwards and the distributor may have been nudged against the firewall just enough to cause a timing concern.

Hope this helps,

Reply to
PC PODD