1989 Ford F-250 7.5L ...... Good Truck???

Hi, I'm thinking of taking on a project...a 1989 F-250 XLT with the 7.58L and Automatic.

I see that it's EFI...don't know if that's good or bad in a vehicle so old.

Were these worthy trucks; or just too old to mess with?

I can't remember whether 1989 was ahead or behind the curve when it came to electronic engine management and general reliabilty and running quality.

Anyone care to comment?

Chuck

Good truck and motor to build on.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

1988 was the first year for the Electronic Port Fuel Injection for the Ford 460/7.5. Ford started EFI in 1986 with the 302, so by 1988 they had it all sorted out. From 88 on, the EFI 460 are a vast improvement over the older carburetor versions.
Reply to
351CJ

I had an F350 with 460 & Auto. Very stout combo. Amazing how much fuel it could use while pulling 12,000#. Never broke anything.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Arnold

With any older vehicle, especially if the mileage is high, its a lot more important as to how well it was maintained and operated than even what the make of the vehicle is. Find out who owned it and how well it was taken care of, then decide.

Reply to
Tom Levigne

I can't speak for the '89 7.5 (although I have basically the same engine in my '77 Lincoln, but carburated), but I did own an '89 F-150 with the 5.0 EFI for 15 years, and I swear all I ever did was change the oil & put gas in it. It had 180k miles when I sold it and still ran & drove almost like when it was new. I frequently regret ever selling that one.

The only engine problems I've had from the Lincoln have been carburator related. The 460 is a great engine, but man can it burn some gas.........

Reply to
johnH